Chapter # 24

I was laying like a lifeless doll on the ground. I felt too shattered to do anything. My eyes are closed; they dried, not being able to produce any more tears. I felt completely broken. He can never change. His cruelty knows no bounds. How happy I was. Soon, it will be our anniversary and here I am lying on the ground, void of everything. The day I entered hell. That day, I made the biggest mistake of my life...

My breath hitched as I didn't dare to move or open my eyes. The creaking sound of the door being opened startles me. I stiffed when I heard steps coming toward me. The presence is enough for me to know that it's Desmond. I can easily recognize the smell of his cologne. His scent filled my whole being with terror. I stopped breathing when I sense him moving close to me. I shivered at the zipping sound of my dress being closed. I felt suffocated from the lack of oxygen but, still, I don't flinch or did anything that alarms him that I am still awake.

Despite the fact, I am filled with fear, I remained still when I felt arms being wrapped around me as he lifted me and laid me on the bed.

I curled my toes to calm my anxious self. I felt him searching for something.

After a few seconds, I felt him pulling down my dress again. I froze in fright. What is he planning now? I felt a strange fluid being traced on my scars. He is applying an ointment. I sealed my mouth shut and breathing from the nose is difficult. It's so difficult to breathe. I took short but rapid breaths. I shudder by his every touch.

You can heal the scar on my back but not the scar on my heart...

I am too broken to feel the warmth of this affection. Right now, this touch is making me defile. I want him away from me as much as possible. My vulnerable form remained motionless as he applied the ointment. After applying, he pulled up the zipper.

I was so scared that my rapid breaths might not have made him aware that I am wide awake.

My tired eyes can't be opened. He then removed a strand of my hair from my face. I bit my cheeks as I felt his breath on my face. His breath is scaring me to no extent. I want him to get away from me as much as possible. His lips brush against my cheeks. He kissed them with such tenderness, I never felt before.

"Happy Anniversary, Love. This completes our 450th kiss..." My heart froze. I can't believe what my ears are hearing. 450th!? To me, it's 27th. Is it a lie as well? And, he called me love! Please, someone, get him away. He is terrifying me.

"I am sorry. I broke my promise.. I am so sorry that you have a pathetic guy like me in your life. Me, who is so weak that I couldn't even protect you..." His voice was filled with hurt. His voice was so desperate as if he was on the verge of crying. "So vulnerable that I hurt you... let him manipulate me and do this to you. I am the worst for doing this to you. I was powerless before him..."

What is the point of showing love behind my back, which rarely will have any effect on me...

I heard him sniff. He is trying not to cry. A tear pricked in the corner of my eye but I didn't let it fall. Then the truck of realization hit me that,

It's that same sweet toxic voice I love. My body stiff as I denied that truth from the bottom of my heart. I don't want to believe it. This can't be happening. That voice was filled with love unlike his. I will never accept the fact that the voice I want to run away with is his. He can never love anyone.

"I am sorry. I am so sorry, love. For breaking my promise. For ruining the day you are eagerly waiting for.." He continued. I clutched the duvet tightly. He was sitting on the ground. I know that and my back is facing him.

"You know..I tried my best to make it 500. But, you were always alarmed. I only get my chance to kiss you or talk to you in your sleep..." He continued talking to me. Stop it!