Chapter-6

I quickly headed to the office because I didn't want to run into other employees.

"Phew..."

When I entered the office, I leaned against the closed door and sighed deeply, rubbing my face with both hands.

After accepting my offer, Philen's behavior toward me became noticeably colder.

Is it a week already?

I and Philen started using honorifics in front of other people.

If there's no one around, I decided to speak informally with him. But since that day, we had never met together alone, so I never had a chance to do that.

We always called each other 'Duke' and 'Lady Thebesa'. We didn't exchange jokes or talk as loud as we used to.

"It seems like we became very distant."

Even if Philen was on the battlefield for six years, I didn't feel distant at all. But in the last few days, I felt distant. If I knew that it would be like this, I would have told him not to use honorifics.

No. It's something I should have done. Rather, it was strange if we still spoke informally.

I decided not to think about it again, but I kept thinking about it, so I sighed. Especially, when I thought about that woman, I felt a heavy rock pressing my chest.

It wasn't long when that woman sent Misa back, maybe she didn't like her anymore. Instead, she started using the newly hired maid as her exclusive maid, who was hired by Philen after an interview in person. That meant Philen cherished her so much.

If he had shown me a little bit of his interest, I wouldn't have felt this sad. No, I might have been more disappointed if it had been. I could have been struggling because she definitely didn't want me to take Philen's attention from her.

"...what happens to me if she gives birth to a son?"

Would she take my place as the Duchess and would I miserably have to leave the Duke of Williot?

The sudden thought darkened my eyes because I had never thought of any other path than being a Duchess.

After getting engaged to Philen, I was educated to become a Duchess. For more than 10 years, I carried out the Duke and Duchess's duties.

I never doubted that I would be the Duchess until now. But would I not be able to be the one now? Would I be robbed by an unidentified woman whom I didn't know where she came from? So what should I do?

If I couldn't become the Duchess, I'd...

My mind was getting dark before my eyes. It became distant.

I stumbled and sat on the sofa. A lot of documents were waiting for me, but I didn't want to see them now.

I don't think it will get into my head anyway, so let's take a break.

I closed my eyes to find peace in my mind.

The whole world looked black. What if I fell asleep like this, I was worried. Of course, it was a useless worry.

Knock. Knock.

Not long after I closed my eyes, I heard a knock. I got up and arranged my messy hair and clothes.

"Come in."

It's time to work. I thought it'd be an aide...

"Leila."

Unexpectedly, it was Philen who opened the door.