Chapter-147

The next day, late in the morning.

After reporting, I held out the envelope the Duchess had given me yesterday to Kalian.

"What's this?"

Kalian, who received the envelope, asked, picking up the letter knife.

"Duchess Cloud asked me to deliver it to Your Majesty."

"Duchess Cloud?"

"Yes. The Duchess said it was a list of ladies who, in her opinion, were qualified to become the empress."

"What?"

His hand holding the letter knife stopped. Kalian looked at me in surprise.

"What did you just say?"

"It is from Duchess Cloud..."

"Not that."

I was going to repeat myself like a parrot, but Kalian cut me out firmly.

"Does that mean the Duchess visited you in person?"

As I nodded, his beautiful eyebrows narrowed.

"She did something useless."

Kalian clicked his tongue, annoyed, and tossed the envelope aside without opening it.

He doesn't look so happy. Still, I need to say this.

While looking into Kalian's mood, I said cautiously.

"The Duchess was very worried that His Majesty had no descendants until now."

Kalian, leaning on the backrest, crossed his arms and looked at me. His face was like telling me to keep talking.

I couldn't look Kalian in the face, so I continued with my eyes on the desk.

"And I feel... the same."

The sound of the wind blowing through the cracks of the windows scattered faintly in the air.

"I also... hope that Your Majesty will bring in Her Majesty as soon as possible."

"Really?"

His heavy voice echoed in the office.

When I looked up, I saw Kalian looking at me with slightly angry eyes.

"Do you really want me to bring in an empress?"

My mouth felt a little dry as if I had chewed sand.

"...yes."

I put my hands together and answered half a beat late.

"That's what I want too."

The Empress.

The Empire's First Lady. A position where you stood beside the emperor and were in charge of the housekeeping of the empire. There was nothing good about leaving such a place empty for a long time.

Because of it, no one was in charge of the upcoming New Year festival, making Duchess Cloud have to lend her hand.

"I hope you will bring in an empress as soon as possible."

This was what everyone wanted, not just me. The people of the Empire wanted it so much enough to wish that I could become the empress.

I'm the empress? When I don't have any wealth, family, power, or status?

What nonsense.

It's a place that I don't dare to wish for, nor do I wish for.

At my words, Kalian stared at me and then said with a deep sigh.