Chapter-138

I thought there would be a talk about the orphanage's name after my surname and Kalian's coercion with reporters, but fortunately, it was quiet. Instead, another disturbing story was heard.

"I heard you're the empress to be."

Kalian said, giggling as if he was having fun.

"The people want you to become the empress. Leila, what do you think?"

His eyes looking at me were full of mischievousness.

I knew he'd ask too.

I sighed inwardly and answered.

"I have already been teased enough, so please stop teasing me."

"Hmm? Who else is teasing you other than me?"

"Baron Delrond and my servants."

In particular, Sarah and Ness persistently tormented me. No matter how many times I said no, they didn't listen.

"I don't know why on earth this rumor is circulating."

When I said it in a troubled tone, Kalian replied with a smile.

"Because people like to talk. I don't have an empress or empress (concubine), so they're even more excited about it."

"Is that so?"

"Yeah. So there's no need for you to worry about it. If you leave it unresponsive, they'll be tired of it, and it'll calm down by itself."

"Yes, I understand."

Yeah, it wasn't only a day or two that people talked as they liked. So there's no need to worry about it.

I started reporting again, thinking that I should do my job well.

"The number of people who want to sponsor the childcare project continues to increase."

I put the list of sponsors down on Kalian's desk.

"It's too much to accept them all, so we will choose them in moderation."

After checking the list, Kalian said firmly.

"All nobles below count are excluded. Because the ones below that are drooling over something they can get out of it."

Drooling over?

I looked at him, a little bewildered at his unimperial tones.

Kalian then looked at the other documents I had brought as if he didn't feel my gaze.

All of them were documents related to the childcare project.

"The number of children entering the orphanage has increased in just a few days, huh?"

"Yes. Not only children brought from the temples but also children who were wandering on the streets gathered at the orphanage. And..."

I let out a small sigh and continued.

"The number of parents abandoning their children is also increasing, one after another."

It was hard for them to raise a child because they were so poor that they thought it was better for their child to be raised at the orphanage than to raise them themselves, etc. And so, they left their child in front of the orphanage for various reasons.

"What should we do?"

"What should we do? Well, we should send them all back. Because those children are not eligible to enter the orphanage."

Only children under 16 without parents were allowed to enter the orphanage. Children that were abandoned by their parents were definitely not eligible for admission because their parents were still alive. So, as Kalian said, it was right to send them all back, but it wasn't as easy as it sounded.