Chapter-42

"...the rainy season has begun in Williot territory."

It might sound a little out of the blue, but to explain what happened, I had to say this.

It started with the fact that I was stranded in the estate due to the early rainy season.

To make matters worse, the riverbank collapsed, causing a great flood.

All the carriages except for Duke Williot's carriage were put in to save the territory's people.

As a result, all the carriages were broken, and there were no carriages to ride on.

...I didn't tell him that Philen didn't lend me the only remaining Duke Williot's carriage.

Not because I thought of Philen, but it was because of my face.

I didn't want to let other people know that I was a fiancée who was ignored by her fiancé.

"...so I was in a difficult situation. Luckily a procession of merchants passed by, I was able to get a carriage and come to the capital."

"And it's not just a carriage, but a luggage carriage?"

Kalian asked back as if it was ridiculous.

Of course.

A noble Lady rode a luggage carriage rather than a regular carriage. It was funny even to me.

So when I stopped by the town in the middle, I thought about renting a proper carriage.

However, getting a carriage that travels long distances is not only expensive but also time-consuming, so I just came here by relying on the merchant carriage.

Thanks to that, my condition was a mess.

"Rather than riding a luggage carriage, you could have just ridden a horse."

"...I am ashamed, but I do not know how to ride a horse."

"Why? Did you not learn basic skills when you were young?"

Countess Thebesa couldn't have taught me that.

There's even no teacher to teach me about letters. I barely learned it from the books my half-brother had left behind by self-studying.

"Somehow, I missed the opportunity to learn."

If I told other people about it, it would be an act of shooting myself in the foot, so I changed my words around.

It would have been difficult if he had persistently asked, but fortunately, Kalian didn't.

"You did a great job on your test."

Kalian picked up the teacup and said in a nonchalant tone.

"You're the top."

"Yes?"

I'm... the top?

"That can't be true. There must be some mistake..."

"Mistake? My Lady, we have 7 scholars and Ver... And do you want to say that my eyes are wrong?"

My mouth closed on its own.

I still couldn't believe that I was on the top, but I couldn't ask if he was mistaken when he said that.

"There's no such thing as a mistake. It's certain that the Lady is the top."

Kalian firmly put an end to the question.

"So the Lady was selected to be my aide."

What are you saying right now...

I, I was selected to be your aide?