Chapter-146

"I'm glad you welcomed me when I visited suddenly without contacting you first."

Why doesn't she drop the honorifics?

I was a little puzzled.

She was a princess before she became a duchess. Apart from the fact that she was a high-ranking noble now, it was rare for an Imperial family to speak up to a lower-ranking noble like me.

And even if she is simply a duchess, why doesn't she drop the honorifics?

I sat across from the Duchess with such questions in my mind.

Sarah, who followed me in, politely poured tea into my cup and then filled the Duchess's half-empty teacup.

A little while ago, she was trembling, not knowing what to do, but now she wasn't trembling at all, doing her part brilliantly.

She's laudable. I should compliment her later.

I drank the tea, smiling happily.

"The tea tastes familiar."

The Duchess lifted her teacup and asked.

"If I remember correctly, this is probably the tea His Majesty drinks often. Am I right?"

"You are right."

I was supposed to treat Kalian to dinner in return for teaching me horseback riding today, so I bought his favorite tea in advance.

Was it just tea? I also prepared refreshments and food that Kalian liked as well.

...though it was all useless.

I wasn't upset or anything like that. I was just kind of worried. If his expression was good earlier, it wouldn't be a big deal, but I was more worried because it wasn't.

"Oh my. Your expression is dark. Is there something wrong?"

Seeing the Duchess asking me that, I must have shown my worries on my face without realizing it.

I'm so silly. I can't even control my expression.

"It's nothing."

I immediately fixed my expression and straightened my back.

"What is the matter?"

"I just stopped by on my way."

"I see."

"You don't believe it, right?"

Of course, I didn't believe it. I couldn't believe it when she, who had no acquaintance with me, suddenly came to visit me without any contact just like that.

But rather than stating my thoughts, I replied with a slight twist.

"The Duchess came suddenly without contacting me, so I can only guess something big has happened."

The Duchess tilted her lips at an angle.

"As expected, the Baron must not like that I suddenly came to visit you, huh?"

"I didn't mean it that way, but I apologize if it sounded like that."

As I bowed my head and apologized, the Duchess smiled slightly.

"The Baron is more prim and proper than I thought. Maybe that's why His Majesty gave the Baron his heart."

His Majesty... gave me his heart?

What does she mean by that?

I looked at the Duchess at her unexpected remark, but she seemed unwilling to explain what she had said.