Chapter-50

The fact that Leila became the emperor's aide and diligently entered and left the emperor's office spread among the nobles.

They wondered if he really had a woman as his aide.

Although she got a perfect score on the official test, she's still a woman...

By the way, was it true that she really got a perfect score?

Could it be the emperor secretly taught her the answer?

The nobles were convinced that it was the case.

If it weren't for that, there's no way a noble lady who didn't even receive an academy education could do it when the most talented people couldn't.

And not long after the war, they suddenly held an official test when the country was still chaotic.

They also thought it was strange to make a big announcement saying that women can also take the test. They didn't think such corruption would be hidden in it.

"Then, shouldn't her position be changed to a mistress rather than an aide?"

One of the nobles sitting around the round table smirked.

"Apparently, Lady Thebesa is Duke Williot's fiancée, so he couldn't openly accept her as an empress, that's why she entered as an aide."

[T/N: The empress here refers to concubines.]

"I know right."

A sneer spread like a plague among the nobles. Regardless of age or position, everyone laughed at Kalian and Leila.

"At this rate, won't he soon turn that lady into an empress?"

[T/N: The empress here refers to concubines.]

A nobleman asked a question.

"I heard Lady Thebesa declared a breakoff of her engagement with Duke Williot."

"Ah, I heard that rumor too."

Another nobleman smiled and shrugged.

"I wondered what kind of confidence Lady Thebesa suddenly had and did such a bold thing, so it was because of this."

"Indeed, of all women, the woman His Majesty chose is such a woman. Birds of a feather flock together, that statement is accurate."

The laughter grew louder. Some people shrugged their shoulders and some laughed out loud.

"Shouldn't we step out before His Majesty goes any further, Duke Giltian?"

The eyes of the nobles turned to Duke Giltian, who was sitting on the higher seat.

Duke Giltian, who had remained silent while the nobles talked, opened his heavy mouth.

"For now, let's wait and see."

"I've been thinking about it for a long time, but the duke seems to be too tolerant with His Majesty."

"I can't help it."

A gentle smile was drawn on his wrinkled face, which was buried with traces of time.

"Even though we're not blood-related, His Majesty is like a grandson to me."

"Ehem."

"Hmm, hmm."

The nobles, who cursed Kalian, coughed at Duke Giltian's response and turned their heads.

Duke Giltian glanced over that nobles.

His eyes were so vivid that it was hard to believe that he had passed the age of 60. Ambition flashed in his gray eyes.