29

Holland, Caspian, and Max were already inside the club when they felt Hannah start to get scared. They tried to look around, to see where there was a commotion. Hannah was terrified, people should be reacting. The entire club looked normal, the show was continuing, there were peaceful tables, and polite business men. The music was loud, while still allowing conversation. There was almost no sign that Hannah was here. Even her scent seemed muted. Something larger than just a human ex boyfriend was wrong here. 

Holland looked at Caspian, "You feel it too?" He asked the dragon. Holland himself had no magic, he had just learned to feel it. Something was wrong with this club, and it wasn't anything natural.

Caspian nodded. "Stay close to me, there is one Fae somewhere who isn't affected by whatever this is." Max and Holland did as they were told, feeling better as they both stood closer to Caspian. Holland was doing his best to be strong, to be strength for Max. Who was the least prepared for whatever it was they had walked into. Max was still going forward. Being brave didn't mean not being afraid. Bravery was doing what you had to in spite of your own fear. His mate was in danger and no matter how scared he felt, he would fight for Hannah.

It was as though they were invisible as they moved through the club. Protected by Caspian as his dragon shielded them from the magic in the air. Everyone looked normal, the air just felt wrong, everyone was too stiff. The stage had a couple actively fucking on a sex swing hung from the rafters, it could have been someone playing a cello for how the crowd was reacting to the sex show. "This is so weird." Max said quietly, they were almost to the bar. A door guarded by two people stood in their way. Their path was intercepted by the Fae they were looking for. His bright green eyes searched each of their faces for an instant. His eyes lighting up like he knew them.

"You're not affected?" He said sounding truly surprised, before the air rippled and he returned holding a key ring. "You have to save her!" He begged them. Max had never seen anything like the waif like man in front of them before and was astounded when he popped in and out of being in front of him. Caspian and Holland were less affected.

Not wasting time asking questions when everyone could feel and knew how terrified Hannah was behind that door. Holland and Caspian looked at each other and nodded. Caspian went to suggest that the guards take a break, they had earned it, while Holland grabbed the Fae man and pushed him to Max. "New job, keep this one safe Max." Not waiting for a reply before he turned around to join Caspian.

Caspian called back over his shoulder, "A distraction of some kind wouldn't hurt for our exit either." as he opened the door, Holland on his heels as they ran through to rescue Hannah. The guards had just walked away, just like Caspian had suggested to him with his silky smooth voice. Max looked at the Fae man anew. Deep red wine coloured hair with dark striking full and well arched eye brows that gave his face a delicate look.

Small pointed nose and ears, just like in the stories. Max had never before seen a real Fae. He didn't think that anyone on his pack at ever really seen a Fae up close. Being at Club Red for the business meeting was the closest he had been. He had been so overwhelmed he wasn't sure he would have noticed if a Fae was right in front of him that night. All he could remember was Hannah.

"Max." He finally said after too long just staring at the other man. He extended out his hand in greeting. Remembering his manners after staring too hard for too long.

The other man smiled, "Aspen." He said, reluctantly. sounding very shy and nervous. As he moved his sleeve raised and Max saw bruises hidden under his clothes. Making Max feel more complicated emotions than he could properly process while Hannah was still scared, and Holland and Caspian were flickers of rage through her. 

Instead of trying to work on what he was feeling, Max deflected to Aspen, ignoring the marks and trying to be normal. Max wasn't great in a crisis and he knew it. He could only focus on one thing at a time. Caspian and Holland said to keep Aspen safe, and to mount a distraction. "Any idea how we could make a distraction here and not hurt anyone? I think all the people are still people right?" Max said, eyes darting around the room. The oppressive wrong feeling so much worse with Caspian and his influence gone. If he stood close enough to Aspen some of the awful oppressive feeling dissipated.