73

Aspen had led Hannah upstairs and through the secret panel door, down to the basement to Caspian who was busy holding the ward around Judy. Judy had only in the last few minutes settled down. Sitting on the built in stainless steel bunk bed with the thin mattress. Just sitting. Caspian could feel she wasn’t actively fighting the bands of air magic that held her any longer. It was likely a ploy to get him or Aspen to lower their guard, give her a moment to try and escape. Caspian would allow no such chance.

Aspen offered Caspian a chance to turn over control. To give Caspian a moment alone with Hannah. Caspian shook his head. “You take our girl out in the woods Aspen, I think it would do you both a world of good.” Caspian had told the two of them. Hannah looked at her elfen mate, then at Caspian. Hannah could almost feel the brush of the dragon, encouraging her to spend more time with Aspen first.

Aspen needed Hannah, he would be stronger after spending time with Hannah. Caspian had his dragon to borrow strength, Aspen was doing his best to hold strong, to do what was needed, to try and save Max’s mother. He hadn’t had enough time with Hannah, or in nature to build his reserves before his love of Hannah drove him to tax himself like he was.

Hannah went to Caspian, embracing him, and kissing his lips softly. “You are a very good man Caspian, I am glad I found you.” Her hand in his until she had to let go as she went back to Aspen, Caspian let them know there was no one outside, they were able to escape the basement from the direct side door, heading straight to the woods. This time when Hannah noticed that Aspen was barefoot, she knew that it was by his choice and not a lack of footwear.

Shortly after entering the tree line, Hannah could tell that Holland and Max were having their own fun. It was distracting and hot. She liked knowing that Holland and Max seemed to love each other as deeply as she loved each of them. More love only meant more happiness. Hannah thought there should be far more happiness in the world and was thrilled that maybe, just maybe, she had made the world a better place bringing Max and Holland together just as she pulled them to her.

Hanah looked at Aspen as he confidently moved through the forest on silent feet. He was still far too pale, and thin. Hannah knew he was tired, but somehow being away from Aspen for only a single night was enough to shock Hannah into realizing how far he had come. He looked healthy, looking straight ahead with a straight back. “Where are we going?” She asked him, only to let him have a chance to explain his choice to her.

“Somewhere special. Trust me.” Hannah did. Completely. Aspen led Hannah through the woods towards the oldest tree he had been able to find in the pack so far. A beautiful, towering oak tree that was by his best guess at least four hundred years old. It was a tree that had lots to tell Aspen. Was invested in the world. Roots stretching far and wide, interlocking with other trees to share information. It had a wide, thick trunk, it had been here a long time, weathered many storms. The underground spring and small creek he had found was nearby to this tree, ensuring it never went without water. Their home would be a short walk from this majestic place. 

Hannah was Aspen’s spring. His beginning, and everything after. Aspen looked at Hannah as they went around the hill that turned into a sheer quartz wall, glittering white in the sunlight, the small bubbling sound of the spring barely audible on the soft breeze, waiting for the moment Hannah saw the gnarled, weathered and ancient tree. Wanting to see if she could see how special it was too. Aspen was deeply rewarded, feeling Hannah squeeze his hand tighter as her mouth fell open, eyes wide in amazement. 

“I’ve never seen a tree like that before.” Looking around “It’s beautiful Aspen.” Face looking towards the sky and sunshine as it filtered through the thick foliage of the tree. She looked radiant in the dappled light that managed to survive and made it to the ground through the greenery. 

“Come sit with me?” Aspen asked, hopeful that Hannah wouldn’t mind joining him as he recharged himself in his element, in the space he was adopting as his own. 

“I would love to, Aspen.” Hannah told him, and she meant it. She had been a city girl her entire life. She truly was enchanted by the old forest around her. The sounds of nature. Being here with Aspen was the best she had felt all day since getting on the plane this morning.

Together, they walked hand in hand, sitting on the soft thick moss carpet under the large oak tree. Sitting cross legged facing each other in a crook of the undulating trunk. Sheltered like the tree was hugging them. Holding both of each other hands in hand. Hannah and Aspen closed their eyes, as Aspen spent time with his element, and Hannah helped ensured he would be at his strongest. 

Hannah had tried to meditate before. It had been part of her physiotherapists plan. Hannah needed heal inside and out. Physically and mentally. The particular perspective of the therapist she had chosen had been the reason Hannah had sought out the clinic. Meditation had been one of the therapy options suggested she try. So she had tried it, willing to do anything the clinic and doctors said to undo the damage one accident had caused. Meditation had almost worked. She liked taking time to slow down, and focus on herself. When she had tired to meditate while still in the city,  she hadn’t ever found a space that let her find any sense of peace. She found it here with Aspen. 

Hannah hadn’t ever known how nice it was to smell fresh forest air. To hear birds, and chipmunks and squirrels as they moved, lived and sang out amongst the branches. She would have welcomed more physical contact with Aspen, but this time alone in a space he found sacred, had been far more intimate. Their time alone had done wonders of good for both of them. Helping each adjust to the tumultuous and swift changes in their circumstances. A chance to take time for just themselves. Before returning to the others, and the problem no one was willing to talk about too directly.