46

Bryan's pack meal was worlds different than Hannah's last experience. For starters, Bryan actually said a prayer before anyone was allowed to start eating. Which was enforced because not a single plate went out until after the prayer was done and the Alpha sat down. It was like a wedding dinner, except there was no celebration. Just the long wait for each table to get served. It was kind of a stiff affair. Given the circumstances, a stiff formal dinner, where no one said a single rude thing to Hannah was perfect.

Sat insulated at a table that only had enough room for her and her mates. Max's mother and Bryan were the only people in the pack Hannah would recognise, Bryan had made it easy to pick him out by standing and leading a kind of cringe prayer. Judy could be anywhere, which had Hannah stressed. Until Max told her, with absolute certainty that his mother had not joined the pack for dinner. Which was one weight off Hannah's shoulder just as their plates arrived.

Hannah turned to thank the person who had served her. Seeing the shocked look on their face when she acknowledged them with thanks. Hannah did not like that. Aspen was also uncomfortable. Max, Caspian and Holland were all much more at ease with the hierarchy situation. It was a problem for another time though, because Hannah was hungry and the food smelled really good. The stuffed chicken breast supreme, potatoes, and various vegetable sides were all delicious. Aspen switched his chicken over to Holland's plate, who in turn gave Aspen his serving of honeyed carrots. Hannah gave Aspen her grilled asparagus to Aspen to make sure he got enough to eat. Knowing she wouldn't be able to eat the wolf sized portion of food on her plate alone anyways. Feeling anxious about that thought after the dressing down she had gotten from Judy and the salad debacle at lunch.

Aspen was shocked over the ease his family adjusted to ensure everyone was cared for, that their needs were met. He looked at his full plate, more food that he had seen in some weeks in his life. He was grateful, and hungry, and ate every bite. Going so far as to help Hannah finish the last of her potatoes when she said she was full. No one else had any trouble cleaning their plates. Nothing was left when the meal was done. Everyone full and content. Stealing bites from one anothers plates until each plate was wiped clean and everyone was full and happy. They fit together seamlessly.

Things were more relaxed as tea or coffee were offered with dessert. Several families coming over to congratulate Max the Beta on his new family. Telling him his dad would be proud of his Mate while only looking at Hannah. Too many wishing Hannah to be fruitful for the Beta for her liking. Outdated gender role concerns aside it was an acceptable pack experience. Hannah even caught a few women subtly reference Judy and her 'spark' was the word they had used. 

Meal over, welcomed, fed, and introduced to the pack. Max, Hannah, Holland, Caspian and Aspen were free, to retire to Max's apartment. That locked. That no one had the keys for. That was expertly soundproofed just like every other room in the pack house.

They were all nearly giddy, except for Aspen who was nervous. He was more than certain he knew what the rest of them were planning. What they wanted to do with each other. He was nervous that when the time came, he wouldn't have the free choice he had been promised. Trust was hard to give when it had never been real.

Hannah dropped back from where she had been keeping pace with Holland. Coming to find Aspen and taking his hand. "You don't ever do anything, that you don't want. You are welcome to join, and no one will be upset if you don't." She told him. Meaning every single word. Aspen took a moment. Listening to her words, feeling her heart in his. When he knew Hannah was speaking true, he delighted in knowing for certain that Hannah, and her mates really would let him choose.

"Really?" He just wanted to hear her tell him one last time. It was so nice to hear Hannah hear things he had always dreamed of hearing. Better than any music he had ever heart, was Hannah telling him he could just be himself.

"Really really, Aspen. You don't mind if I?" Hannah asked, wanting Aspen to say that he wasn't bothered by her being with her other mates without him.

"Knowing you care about me, that you accepted me, that I can sometimes be with just you I think Is all I can manage right now." Aspen told her. More words and honesty than he was used to sharing at once. "Max?" Aspen called, getting Max to stop and listen to whatever Aspen was brave enough to say unasked.

"Would you mind if I tried your carving tools while you are all, umm" Aspen was still far to used to being polite, and ensuring he didn't embarrass anyone, "Um, occupied this evening? I promise I will clean up after I am finished." His words rushed and anxious as Aspen asked for something directly. Something just for him.

"Max smiled. I would be honoured to share my studio with you, I'll make sure you know where everything is once we are at the work bench." Max promised. Taking bigger steps to go unlock his apartment door, and head to the work bench to make sure all the tools were charged, blades fresh, and anything else he thought Aspen might need while he waited for the others to catch up.

Caspian and Holland hovered while Hannah monopolized the bathroom. Washing her face of the little bit of makeup she had worn. One she was done the three of them went to the bedroom and closed the door. "The bedroom is sound proofed, I'll open it once its uhh bedtime, and you can join us then if you want. The couch does fold out, the blankets on it are probably stale. I haven't changed them in a while. But they were clean when I put them on the mattress. There isn't much food here, but the kitchen downstairs always has someone doing something if you get hungry." Max was nervous. Eager to join Holland, Caspian and Hannah, but this was his apartment, his home, his pack. He wanted to ensure Aspen had everything he needed.

"Thank you Max." Aspen finally managed to interrupt Max. "Really, thank you, you have been more generous than any I have known. You can join them. I will be ok." Aspen reassured the young wolf, who grinned and promptly vanished into the bedroom. Confirming that yes, the walls were indeed sound proof as it was audibly clear that Caspian, Hannah and Holland had not waited for Max to get started. The rest of the apartment was still and quiet after the door shut once again.

Until the gentle sounds of a blade working on wood began. Aspen working to carve a soft piece of wood. Inspired by Max, Aspen began to carve a moment that made him happy. Hannah, when she faced down Magnus. Except instead of a backwards tshirt, Aspen wanted to carve Hannah dressed like the Mother of the forest. Dressed in gossamer thin as spider silk, ivy and wild flowers. Smiling to himself as he worked in happy solitude. Hannah was more than happy right now, he could feel it. Maybe someday he would join all of them. For now, this was more than enough for him to be happy. Humming quietly as he carved Hannah in the image of a Goddess, enjoying feeling just how happy his soulmate was, how much love was contained in this apartment.