74

Hannah and Aspen returned to the pack house. Max and Holland had both texted Hannah's phone to let her know that they were taking care of some chores together. Though Hannah could tell that while they might be doing some housework together, they were taking lots of very pleasurable breaks. She was glad for them. Glad Max had the love and support of her and Holland to lose himself in right now. 

Aspen was radiant. A hum almost seeming to come from his skin as Hannah walked beside him, before ducking down the secret stairs to Caspian. Hannah felt as though she knew the moment Caspian handed control over to Aspen. As though she could now sense the magic in the air and between them. Hannah kissed Aspen's cheek. Once. Feeling his need to concentrate on his task.

Caspian rolled his shoulders, pops and cracks erupting from his joints. After a final shake he looked at Hannah, The urge to run, wanting him to chase her strong. Except Hannah had things she needed to get done. Hopefully soon there would be a chance to play some games with Caspian. "I want to see the room for my father, if he's going to be here soon, I want to make sure everything is set up for him nicely." She told Caspian as they emerged from the easy side door instead of the hidden wall panel inside the pack house. Caspian was able to tell when the coast was clear thanks to his dragon's cooperation when it came to Hannah.

Heading directly to the home on the edge of the village the majority of the pack lived near. Emma was the one who met them at the door. She had remained silent so far about what she knew regarding Judy and the truth of the situation. For that, Caspian was grateful. Emma greeted them as though everything was normal, welcoming Hannah and of course inviting her to check her father's room, especially since he was expected almost anytime now.

As Hannah inspected the room, Caspian hung back, near Emma. "We do, deeply appreciate your discretion and offer for assistance. Your understanding at this time is noticed Emma." Emma burned with pride at having the dragon praise her in any way. She still wanted to feel more useful, to do something more. She knew that it was her own pride that made her desire more.

"Fate has touched you with favour, I am glad to be close enough to bear witness." Emma replied. Doing her best to emulate formalities she associated with dragons.

Caspian nodded. "Well met, Emma the witch of Golden Green." Caspian told her. Watching her face light up at being called a witch, and the formal acknowledgement.

Hannah was fingering a quilt on the bed, it looked homemade. She didn't know it, it wasn't a quilt she had seen before. "Where did this quilt come from?" It was far too nice, too pretty to be freely given.

"Max's mother made that particular quilt, the Quilting Bee's are a very active social club on the pack. They quit for the home, and hospital, knit baby hats, and raffle off quilts and other art for charity." Emma explained. Hearing that Max's mother made the quilt Emma had found to add to Colton's room, Hannah looked more closely at the textile work of art.

The stitches looked like they had been done by hand. It was a bright, colourful pattern of sunbursts and birds. It was beautiful, intricate, a real work of art. Twisting Hannah's heart. Max was a wonderful person. He had to have been raised by people who had good in them. Judy had made this quit and it was beautiful. Someone who was thoughtful and patient had made this quilt. 

That Judy was still somewhere locked behind the evil Caspian and Aspen were working to keep contained. Even at the ill fated lunch they had shared, so close to when the corruption had taken hold, Judy had known that Aspen was off limits. Had chosen the entire meal she made based on him. Hannah wanted to keep believing that they could find a way to save Max's mom. Hannah knew how it felt to lose both parents. She didn't want to see that darkness settle into Max.

Emma recognised that Hannah had finished inspecting the room and moved closer to her, showing her a remote. "We heard your father might be reacting to music, so we did make sure the sound system in his room was up to date." Emma pressed a button, and a live recording of Mr. Tanner by Harry Chapin, started to play in the room.

"It's our song." Hannah said, tears welling up in her eyes as she looked around. The exact version her and her dad had sung loudly and off key together anytime they drove together when she had been small.

"When we last checked in with Deloris over how the travels were going, she said this song brought forward the most reaction from Colton. We wanted to be ready to continue the music therapy to see how reactive he was to musical stimuli ourselves." The room was bright, clean, there were multiple home made quilts one for the bed, and one for the comfortable chair near the window. There were even potted plants sat on the sills of the two windows in the spacious corner room. The windows showed beautiful vistas of the pack village and forest.  The medical team were top notch here, Hannah had checked several doctors backgrounds herself. There was nowhere better for her's father to be. Hannah couldn't find a single fault.

"Thank you Emma, for everything. I really do appreciate your dedication and hard work, I know it isn't easy." Hannah said, diplomatically. Not referencing that Emma was doing more than just facilitating Hannah's father move to the nursing home. She had also promised the keep the truth of Judy's condition to herself, and was bringing Deloris to continue working with her father. Emma deserved to know how respected and valued she was, even if Hannah couldn't use so many words right now to convey just how deeply grateful she was.

"I am truly happy to have met you Hannah, glad I was able to help in some way." Emma replied. Diplomatic herself, but a knowing look passed between the two women. Except the moment was interrupted when a pager on Emma's hip went off.

Emma smiled and looked at Hannah. "You and Caspian have good timing, it seems your father is just about to arrive you can help him move into his new room if you want to stay around." Emma offered Hannah. Already knowing that Hannah was the kind of woman who would want to be hands on ensuring her father settled into his new room. Emma had already learned that while Hannah might be human and look young and inexperienced. A too pretty face to have known true hardship. Emma could see there was more to the new Beta Mate than she first assumed on sight.