79

"It's just a Sesame oil mushroom noodle stir fry, and Holland made some charred garlic beef under the broiler." Max explained, the kitchen workers had given him what was essentially a meal kit with a few simple ingredients. Holland was the expert in the kitchen, and had managed to simplify the steps down as much as possible for Max to follow along. Going above and beyond what their work should entail. Even though Max had only asked for a couple ingredients to enhance the groceries already on hand.

Max had realized that these were pack employees; and he had no idea how their work terms were decided. After seeing how much work arrangments could affect someone through Hannah's experiences, he had his very, first goal for his own pack improvement plan. He needed to look at all the work agreements on the pack. He needed to make sure that everyone was properly valued for the work that they were doing. 

Max had a nagging feeling that he was going to be very disappointed when he looked at some of the benefit and pay agreements on the pack. Shamed he hadn't done more until now. Helping people had been something his father had focused on, Max should have thought about continuing his own father's meaningful work instead of following the Alpha and his aspirations because they were more exciting.

Holland kissed his cheek. Waking Max from his spiral. Holland used his hip to nudge the oven door closed, the smell of fire cooked meat filling the small apartment. "Good is good no matter when it happens Max." Holland told his mate with a smile. He couldn't read Max's mind, but he could tell when his mate was testing how much weight of the Beta title he could bear. Holland wanted to be a well of support for his Beta. 

Holland smiled. Tenting foil over his steak to allow it a few moments to rest before he cut it. Max finished stirring the skillet of noodles, glistening with a dark sauce, variety of mushrooms tossed between the kinked strands of fresh made by the pack kitchen ramen noodles. Grabbing four bowls, Max divided the noodles, adding a garnish of fresh bean sprouts, green onions and toasted sesame seeds. Adding a soft steamed egg to three of the bowls.

Holland quickly sliced the steak, arranging the strip on a plate, everything moving out to the comfortable living room they were now used to eating around. Chop sticks for forks handed out according to preference, everyone sat down at their makeshift dining room. Taking their first bites. It was delicious, the noodles were full of umami with no meat, while those who wanted were able to enjoy the richness of a gooey egg yolk mixing with their noodles or a bite of steak when they wanted. 

"This is really good!" Aspen exclaimed, after slurping up a long string of noodles. He was used to barely getting by with what he could find or scavenge, every single meal at the pack had been thoughtful to his desires, and more filling than what he usually ate over several days. That Max and Holland had made it, and shared with him made this meal far more enjoyable. Aspen was trying to not be giddy in his own joy over his current circumstances when Hannah and Max were still on the cusp of difficult moments with their parents. The pack still in flux of the old ways and new world, and Caspian's tie to the dragon lord of the east coast. 

Things weren't easy, but things were real, everyone's feelings mattered to Aspen. He was invested, and happy, and plain overwhelmed with how much joy his heart could hold. How deeply he could hope for the best even when logically he should give up and be more pragmatic. Hannah was a miracle to him, and made betting on more miracles plausible.

Hannah had missed eating meals with people. She had eaten so many meals alone in the past few years. She loved everything about eating simple meals with her mates. She hoped sometime soon that they would all be able to spend more time together together, without needing to be separated by duty. She missed Caspian terribly.

Everyone was dancing around too many elephants. Hannah hated it, and blurted out, "Judy can't meet my dad until the doctors say he is competent enough for a relationship. The tests should only take a day or two." Leaving out that she was deflecting the final choice. It was too big a decision for her, she was going to leave it in the hands of the medical team she trusted to be some of the best in the world by the credentials and records she had been shown.

Max paled slightly. "Mom was never good at waiting-" He started to say. Worried how his mother would react. Stuck in old patterns. Until he felt a spark from Hannah.

It was her stand down to a dragon face, and Max knew he had already lost. Even before he saw the look Holland was giving him. "I'm not introducing someone to my dad who thinks he is- her mate" Still stumbling over the unfamiliar word in her mouth, that Hannah now understood held so much meaning. "Not unless I know he can make his own choices. I can't rightly judge on my own so I just want objective proof my dad could actually be some kind of mate to Judy." Hannah rushed her words, fearing someone would be mad at what she had decided, unsure how they would react. There wasn't an after school special covering how to handle this situation.

"That is more than fair, mom hasn't shown that she can be trusted. It is only right that we wait a day or two, and determine how well your father is before we make any plans." Max quickly told Hannah. Pride burning in his heart as Hannah calmed down at his words in an instant. He had said the right thing, his wolf was ecstatic that Max had stood on Hannah's side instead of trying to encourage Hannah to let Judy meet Colton.

"Really?" Hannah knew her mates were all for her, but she felt like she was asking a lot to delay Max's mother meeting her dad. That everyone she told was so agreeable was not what she was expecting

"Really Really Hannah". It was Max who reassured her again. Holland nodding in agreement as well. Aspen sending endless support to Hannah all at once.

It was as though a literal weight on her shoulders was removed. Breathing came easier to Hannah. "I just need to know that I'm not just seeing what I want. I just want to protect him and Judy from more heartbreak." Hannah wasn't vindictive, she didn't want to hurt Judy. She was only looking out for her father. Trying to do the right thing.