The park

The rest of the night flew by and before we knew it, it was well after midnight. Dinner had been done for hours but neither of us had eaten, instead we were still on the couch talking about anything and everything. It was hard to keep my guard up with him, he was so easy to talk to and he actually paid attention to everything I had to say.

As the grandfather clock in the hallway went off Steve looked over and realized what time it was "holy shit it's midnight we haven't even eaten."
We both started laughing "are you even hungry?"
"Honestly not really."
"Wanna smoke? I promised you dinner and I don't want you to go home hungry."
"Yeah that's fine I have one in my jacket"
"No need I have some in my room I'll be right back." He hopped up and headed up the steps disappearing into his bedroom. I could hear him moving stuff around, and struggling with something. I laughed to myself and looked around the house, this wasn't something I was used to. Steve came from money, something I did not, maybe I don't belong here..

Steve reappeared before I had a chance to let the anxiety get the better of me "found it!" He yelled as he came running back down the steps "wanna go sit out by the pool?"
"Uh that might not be the best idea, it's colder by the water."
"True, I'll bring a blanket."

I rolled my eyes but got up and walked over to him he grabbed my hand and led me out back towards the pool.

It had dropped at least 10 degrees since we had been outside last, and I was right it was windier by the pool

It had dropped at least 10 degrees since we had been outside last, and I was right it was windier by the pool. We sat down and he covered us up with the blanket then lit the blunt and handed it to me "ladies first". I smiled and took it from him, inhaling a larger than normal amount before handing it back to him "woah slow down killer." He said as he took a hit and laughed at me.

"Thank you for tonight" I looked over at him and saw his face light up as I said it.
"Does that mean I get another date?"
"Yes" I took the blunt and hit it again as he looked like a kid on Christmas when he heard my answer.
"I really like you Dani" he pulled me closer to him and held me in his arms, he was warmer than I was, I was shivering with all the wind.
"I like you too Steve" I blurted out before I could even think about what to say back. Part of me in that moment thought about Billy..maybe it was the weed, maybe it was just him. We sat there listening to the sounds of the water hit the side of the pool and looking up at the stars as the high slowly hit both of us.

"I didn't peg you for a weed guy."
"I could say the same about you."
"Are you kidding me? Look at my life Harrington, compared to yours mines a shit show. And Eddie Munson is my brother, the old drug dealer of this town."
"That's true, and Eddie was the one that introduced me to it honestly. My parents aren't the greatest people either, the expectation they have of me is enough to strangle me some days. To tell you the truth I hate basketball, but I only do it to shut them up because "it looks good for scholarships" or whatever. So I hide out here when they're home and smoke.. it's honestly the only time I do it."
"Oh"
"Yeah. Everything may look pretty and good on the outside, but on the inside you and I aren't that different."
"Yeah"
"Are you hungry now?"
"Definitely" I said as I started laughing..it had definitely hit now.
"Alright let's get you inside"