Messages.

We pulled up to the park a short time later, I didn't open the messages from Billy I wasn't in the mood to hear or read excuses. I'll just let him wait it out longer.

The park was small, it looked like no one had been there in years everything was rusted and the paint that was once vibrant and beautiful was now chipped and faded. Steve didn't seem to bothered by it, but it made my mood worse seeing something that once made so many children happy including Steve now looking depressing and broken, just like how I was feeling. My hand was still hurting, I needed more medicine but I tried to ignore it as best as I could without alerting Steve that I was in pain. He got out pretty quickly leaving his phone inside the car, I could see him running over to the set of swings that weren't broken and sitting down motioning for me to join him.

Deep down I could feel the urge to run creeping up inside of me

Deep down I could feel the urge to run creeping up inside of me. Just another thing I had to try to ignore, Steve was doing everything he knew how to try to make me happy again, there was no way I could make him feel like he was failing me.

I got out of the car, leaving my phone behind as well and following in his tracks to the swing set where he was slowly swinging back and forth quietly watching my every move.

"So this place is a little rough..." I said as I sat down on the metal swing next to him, the chains squeaked as I started to move back and forth matching Steve's pace.

"You should've seen it back when I was a kid

"You should've seen it back when I was a kid. Mom and dad brought me here after they would sell a house, it felt like we were here at least 3 times a week...it felt much bigger back then. And the colors...the smells and the feeling of being here, this felt like home more than that big house ever did. Every time I feel like the world is closing in on me, I come here. It seems like everyone else has forgotten about this place except for me."
"It doesn't make you sad...seeing the way it's aged?"
He laughed "the memories for me out weigh what it looks like. And the feeling of being here helps, I feel like I'm stuck in time when I'm here, I'm not some loser who graduates high school in a few weeks and has no plan, I feel like I'm that kid who gets to have a good day after school knowing we're coming here and I'll be with my parents...this place is the only good memories I have."
"I'm sorry"
"Nothing to be sorry about, that's why I brought you here...yeah what you're going through is really shitty and honestly ridiculous that he did that, but this place is just special. You can't be upset here, trust me I've tried. And I want you to have memories here too, you're already a big part of my life...and now you've seen my best memory. Even if we never become anything more than friends, you can always come here too, and I'll always be there for you."