Two Months

LENA POV

"Very good sweetheart. Look at you." I say to Bird as she is walking very well with the help of the bars. She looks up at me smiling for I am still helping her but she was getting stronger and stronger each day. "You are doing so well honey. And you have come so far."

"I hope so Lena."

"You are and we are soon going to practice tossing the basketball back and forth and then maybe dribbling or kicking."

"I don't know if I remember any of that Lena." Bird says looking rather sad.

"You will honey. You know the mind and body are a funny thing and they work together, like right now they are working together to make those connections again so that you can walk and do things you use to do." I say to her as we slowly turn around so that she can continue to practice walking.

"Lena?"

"Yes sweetheart?"

"They still haven't found my mother right?" Bird asks as I bend down and gently massage one her knees for I could see she was winching.

"Come lets rest a bit and get something to drink." Gently I help her back to her wheelchair as she sits and I hand her a cup of water. Grabbing a chair I sit across from her as her big brown eyes look into mine as she takes another sip of water. This girls story continued to break my heart and deep inside I wanted to take her home and just love her to pieces.

"They haven't. I did ask Mike and he said no."

"I figured. What's gonna happen to me when I get out of here?"

"Well, you don't need to worry about that, they are looking to see if you have any other family, but in the meantime you are still going to be here since you still need impatient care but when the time comes for you to leave you will have a safe place to go to."

"Foster care isn't safe, not the ones I've been in and neither is anyone in my family. So, I hope I never get better so that I don't need to leave here." She is so serious as I gently grab her hand and squeeze it for I hated that I had no idea of the struggles she faced growing up and she had only been recently telling me about them all of which were heartbreaking.

Gently I grab one of her hands as she looks right at me again and I hold it close. 

"Listen, I will personally make sure you go to a safe home, ok? I care about you Bird, very much and we aren't going to let anything happen to you. I will make sure that you continue to get the best care ever after we are done."

"It's ok Lena. You don't need to promise that. And I won't be upset if you get busy and forget. It's ok."

"I will not forget honey. I won't, just like I didn't forget this." I smile now and reach in my bag pulling out a video tape and handing it to her. She looks at me rather confused and skeptical.

"It's the game. The playoff or finals or championship? I think all." I laugh because I really knew not a thing about basketball.

"OHHHH really!!!! How did you get this Lena?!" Her face is so excited and happy as she leans over and hugs me with her one arm and I warmly hug her back.

"Well, I have an uncle who has a friend who taped it and they got me a copy. I told them I have little friend that LOVES Larry Bird. So the games you missed are on there."

"SO cool!!! Do you want to watch them with me?"

"I'd love to." I smile as she grins even wider at the tape but looks back at me with a rather worried expression.

"Can I watch this with Stef too?"

"I'm sure we can find out sweetheart. She might like that." I smile softly at her again as I happen to look across the room and see Stef at Callie's station. I knew she was starting PT this week but I didn't know it was today and I can already see it is not going well. At all.