A New Home II

STEF POV 

"She... she is out." I say to Lena as I wheel myself out of Birds room and see her washing the dishes. All four of us had a really nice evening, and Mike had even cooked some steaks, and we all played a board game afterward. It was really nice not to be in that damn ass hospital and finally be out in the real world in some sense.

I knew I had a long road ahead of me, and that was frustrating in itself. Extremely, but I couldn't just wallow away in my sadness about no longer remembering who I was and what my former life had been like. If I did that, I may not be able to function because those pictures that Mike and Lena put up in my room, I wasn't sure how they made me feel. I wasn't sure if I wanted Tess' photo up there to look at every day when I went to bed, and every morning when I woke up. I was trying so hard to deal with these horrible dreams and some of my memories that sometimes denial felt like the better route.

But Lena's apartment was absolutely amazing, and I loved it.  Both Bird and I, and the two of us had talked about it as I was lying down with her for bed. It was so very warm and comforting, and I loved what she did with Bird's little room as well as the one I'd be staying in.

The section she put together for PT, well, I had no words for it. Not because it wasn't nice, but because it was beyond anything that I could have imagined. If I could say one thing about it, I'd say it was life changing, and maybe this whole experience was.

Evidently, Lena was more than just her words. Her actions said a great deal about how much she cared, and she stood by her word in the hospital. But, deep inside, I wanted to find a way to somehow make it up to her. Yes, I vowed to work hard to get stronger, and really, really push myself as much as I could despite my injuries because being Bird's mother was my number one priority.

But was working to overcome my injuries enough? Did that really show Lena how much I appreciated her for everything she was really doing? In my eyes, she was sacrificing her own time and space. I had not even given her a dime, but I would whether she liked it or not.

"Oh, I bet. She's tired. It was a long day. For both of you." She turns to me and smiles as I nod my head and wheel myself closer to her. "You think she likes her room, or was it too much for her?"

"I... I think she really likes it..Le..Lena. I...think she loves it...it. I put... I put the bathroom light on for her. She...she is so terrified of the dark..Le Lena."

"I know. I think those two nightlights will help, plus her room is right next to yours. Her therapist said this is something she might struggle with for a while. But, I think you and I are patient and understanding enough to help her."

"Ye..yes."

"I'm glad she likes it, though, Stef. Both of you deserve so much." She smiles at me again as I watch her drying the dishes.

"Do..do you need some help?"

"I'm okay. You can relax and get comfortable. Do you want to watch TV or anything?"

"Mm..no. I..I want to help. Please, Lena. I..I... watched enough TV in the hospital. Please....let...let me help." I say as she turns to look at me again.

"Sure. Do you want to dry and put the silverware away? That would help a lot."

"Sure... sure.. I can. I can do that. Can't.. can't break that, right?" I joke as she laughs along with me and hands me a dishtowel.

"Even if you did, it's not a big deal, Stef. You should see how clumsy I am. I think I've broken about ten dishes in my other apartment in a month! Things just slip out of my hands!" She laughs as I smile at her, drying one of the forks.