Changing Perspective

LENA POV 

"Okay, lets try to do one more movement with your knee."  I say to Stef as she continues to glare even harder at me like she had been for the past twenty minutes when I first walked in the room during her lunch with her brother. Part of me knew she couldn't help it but the other part of me knew she could control some of it based on how she treated Bird, as she does not move her knee.

"Stef, you can do this. I know you can." I push a little more as she glares harder at me and moves her leg with barely any effort. I knew she could do better, she knew it too, but just refused.

 "You can do better."

"Look, you said move it. And I'm fucking moving it! What more do you want. Fucking cunt." She vents angrily as I grab a chair and sit right in front of her as she looks right at me again in the coldest way possible for we both knew she was making no effort whatsoever. "What? Wha..what are you looking at bimbo?"

"Do you want to get better."

"Wh, what?"

"Do you want to leave this hospital walking, Stef? I mean do you have any interest in getting better?"

"Wha, what do you care? You don't know me, what does it matter to you? I, I'm a check."

Leaning closer to her I gently place one of my hands on her knees as this causes her to slap it away and move her leg, however I keep my hand on her knee and I don't move it because I've done this on purpose to see what she would do and she did exactly what I expected.

"So you can move?" I laugh as she stares harder at me.

"Fu, fuck off. Before I break you."

"You can try Stef but you are not a check. You are far more then that and your recovery means a great deal to me. Just as much as it matters to that little girl."

"Well I didn't save her enough now did I? If I had she wouldn't be here, she'd be...she'd play ball. So some...some fucking cop."

"You did, because of you she's alive. If you hadn't been there she wouldn't be alive."

"Yeah... o..okay. Why, why don't you stop pretending. You know I'm not walking. I can barely piss alone, I can't even write my name. "

"Yet, you help Bird write hers." I smile as she rolls her eyes at me as she tries so hard not to show her soft side. 

"Yeah, it's easier. So..so what."

"Or, you care about her recovery but not your own."

"Don't you have other patients? Go bother them, okay? Leave..leave... me be."  Wheeling herself over to her nightstand I see her grab a photo as she looks deeply at it, and from here I can see it is a photograph of her and Tess whom Mike told me she was asking about. She had no idea this woman passed away and that alone was heartbreaking. Very, as I grab my chair and sit beside her once again.

"Do you remember being a cop?" I ask as she doesn't look at me and I know it's a big risk asking her that. "You're brother said you loved it."

"How the fuck would I know, dummy."

"You must remember something by the way you are looking at that photo." I say softly as she now looks at me with her glassy eyes, her scarf tied around her head as I could see her blonde hair sticking out of it in the back for it was growing but she was still rather embrassed about it.

"Do you get paid to do physical therapy and ask stupid shit too? I'm better off being my own physical therapist so I wouldn't, so I wouldn't need to hear you. I don't like you. Leave me alone."