Not A Dream

STEF POV

MEMORY

"Mike, I don't know why you even try! You know I'm gonna end up whipping your ass like I do EVERY TIME." I say, dribbling the basketball as Mike and I are shooting hoops down at the Y like we usually did on our days off. We were both creatures of habit so to say but it worked in both our favors.

Standing in front of me, he tries to grab the ball, but he knows he's not quick enough as I smirk at him.

"Because I taught YOU how to play! Do you think I don't know your moves? Does it ever occur to you that I let you win, Stef?" He laughs as I narrow my eyes and pass him nearly knocking him over as I run down the court and dunk the ball in the hoop. 

"AND SLAM! Let me win my ass!" I laugh tossing the ball at my brother as it hits him in the stomach, and he dribbles it himself. "Ah, you're a good player, I just surpassed ya, big bro!"

"Yeah, yeah! Wanna get a slice after?" He says as we both take a seat on the bench now, grabbing our waters as I wipe my face with a rag. 

"Sure, why not. Loser pays, so I guess that's you?" I tease, grabbing his water and taking a chug as he shakes his head again, laughing.

"So, little sister, how is cop life treating ya. Doing alright?"

"Yeah. I mean, women are treated like trash, but I don't know Mike I'm liking it. Making a difference somehow. I hope, anyway after all the years I've put in so far." Shrugging, I finish the rest of his water as Mike fixes his shoelace.

"Yeah, I know it, but you're a good cop and you hold your own. Always have. But, listen to me, just be careful over there on the lower east side, here me? You're tough, but still my little sister. So, don't you forget that."  He looks at me sternly as I roll my eyes and laugh.

"Yes, DAD!"

"I'm serious, I care about you and love you. More than ya'll ever know, and I'd do anything for you, Stef. Just promise me you're careful."

"I promise, Mike. I'm careful. I wear my vest and do what I can to make sure I'm safe. I've been fine all these years, I'm not slacking off now. Can't help that crime continues to get worse."

"Not you can't. But, it's just a reminder from your big brother. Honestly Stef, Mom and Dad would be proud of you. Proud of what you've become and proud you have our last name I always felt bad things didn't work out when we were kids and that they couldn't adopt you."

"Not your fault, Mike. Life wasn't so bad with my aunt.  She didn't kick my ass or anything, but having you and Tess always made shit easier. And I knew Mom and Dad loved me. And I loved them too." He nods as I turn to smile at the kids playing ball now on the court.

"Speaking of Tess, are you ever gonna tell her how you feel about her? Or are you going to let another twenty years ago by."

"Feel about what?" I laugh, turning to look at him as he stares hard at me and shakes his head.

"Stef, come on. You've been digging Tess forever. Since we were kids. Are you ever gonna tell her? It's really obvious, plus she digs you too."

"Mike, I can't assume she's gay. Plus, she's dating, and we are just friends. You know this. I'm fine how I am an all, and I don't know what you're seeing by saying she digs me. Maybe you need your vision checked old man."