Donuts, Bagels, Hot Cocoa

LENA POV 

This morning had already been rather busy as I had gotten up at around four to finish off cooking my ziti, ham and stuffing, and to make it in time to pick up an array of bagels, holiday cookies, and donuts for Stef, Mike and Bird. I really wanted to make Thanksgiving day meaningful for them, and as soon as we all would finish watching the parade, I'd head back up to my apartment to finish off the rest of the meal.

The snowy whether was lovely but it was somewhat of a nightmare getting over to the east side, and to top it off my mother had called me around six to see what time I was coming over to have dinner with her and my father. But, like I told her last week, I wouldn't be able to make it since I was working. Sure, it was a lie, and she sounded like her usual dramatic self, asking if I was still upset over the travesty of my Uncle Alvin. 

Sometimes, I wondered what planet she was from and if she could muster up her own feelings about what was going on with her own brother. I guess her way of showing it was by acting like he wasn't sick, acting like he wasn't gay, and pretending he just didn't exist. She felt he had a plague anyway long before he had gotten sick with AIDS, and this issue she had with him was just that. Her issue.

I realized her strange feelings toward Uncle Alvin weren't something that I should let take over my heart. It wasn't my issue and I loved my parents, very, very much. But, I just didn't want to sit there all evening along with my Uncle Kessel and Auntie Eileen the entire night. So I declined despite knowing she'd be pissed with me for a few weeks. 

Seeing Birds happy face when I arrived here this morning only confirmed I was making the right choice, especially since I had spoken to the social worker just last night as well. Jenny informed me that my paperwork was processed and cleared and that on Monday, she would do a home visit.

I was grateful to be in the larger apartment and had been purchasing an assortment of things for Bird's bedroom that I was hoping she'd love. This weekend, I'd need to finish up literally everything and put up the Celtics curtains I had gotten her, and thankfully, Duke said he'd help me!

"There are so many donuts! I don't know which one I want! Stef, what are you going to get?" I hear Bird ask, interrupting me out of my thoughts, and I smile as Duke and I had set up all the goodies in the lounge earlier this morning, which was very empty today. I had already put the TV on as the parade was starting, and I could really see how excited Bird was about today. I even saw a glimmer in Stef's eyes when we walked into her room earlier, and that was rare.

"Mm, I don't know, baby. There's, there's a lot to choose from. Those are usually good." Stef points to the black and white cookies as Bird grins.

"Oh, I never had those before. They look so tasty."

"Do you want one, Bird? Want one, sis?" Mike asks as Bird happily nods her head and I continue to set the table up for the four of us as I have low Christmas music playing in the background and the NBC newscasters show the crowd at the parade. 

"Yeah, sure, I'll take one." Stef says, looking all around, and I bend down beside her as she looks me right in the eyes. 

"Doing, okay? Want me to lower the music and TV, okay?"

"Yes. It's..it's okay. The music is nice here. I'm okay." Her voice is soft as I pat her hand now and help Mike with the hot chocolate and bagels. 

"Can I have marshmallows on mine, Mike?!" Bird asks, beaming again as I see her holding Stef's hand.

"Sure, kid. Sis, marshmallows?" 

"Yeah, thanks."

"Are we going to eat in here, Lena?" Bird asks as I set everything down along with the plates and smile at her as her and Stef wheel themselves up to the table.