A Strong Motivator

LENA POV

"So, Stef, we are going to continue to try to stand and walk today, okay? What we are using today is a little different than what we have been using the last few weeks. These two bars here you will hold onto with your hands, and I will hook you too a harness and stand right up there with you. The main thing is I don't want you to feel any pressure, okay? We are taking this slow." I say to Stef as she nods her head at me, and I can feel she is a little nervous.

It had been about a week since our talk on Thanksgiving night in terms of what to do about Bird. She had not really given me an answer, but I knew very, very well that she was thinking about it, which was completely understandable. None of this was easy, far from it, but I knew deep in my heart what she was going to do. Mike and I both knew she wanted to be Bird's mother despite the strong doubts she had about herself and her recovery. Which again we really understood.

Fortunately, I passed my home visit, and I had about three hours left of my foster care class and training. All seemed to be going well, and we would all be relieved once Bird was in my care. We all knew it was something that worried her to no end, and it was understandable. Her life had been hell, but that wasn't going to be the case any longer. Never again, if any of us could help it.

"You are doing well, Stef. Your arms have gotten stronger, I notice you can hold a fork much better than you could and even your drink cup. Everything we are working on adds up, honey. It all does, and I promise one day it won't be this difficult. So, what do you say, want to try it out?"

"Yeah.. yeah." She says, looking around the empty room as I kneel down a bit beside her wheelchair.

"Listen, it's just us in here. No one else is coming, I scheduled this room for you and me, and we can take all the time we need. It will be okay, and I'm right here with you. Okay?"

"Yeah."

"Okay, let's get to it. I'm going to put the harness around you first." I stand now smiling as I push her wheelchair closer to the opening of the machine and put the break on. Placing the harness around her stomach, I help her stand now as she stares right into my eyes and I can see the worry on her face, but I will do everything in my power to help her with this. She is a strong woman. We all know she is, and she just had to realize this about herself once again.

"Good, just like that. I got ya. I got ya. Stef, you are far stronger than you think." I say as she winces now, placing one of her hands on the bar as I secure the harness more for her.

"I.. I doubt that. I am not...not strong."

"You are, honey. Believe me. According to everyone, you aren't even supposed to be talking. And you are. Cursing everyone out and all." I laugh as she smirks some, and I slowly help her put her other hand on the second bar. "And look at you. I was standing longer already than yesterday."

"Yeah, wow, a full 20 seconds." She rolls her eyes as I smile.

"No, it's been longer. How are you feeling? Are you okay?"

"Yeah...my...my legs just feel funny. Like, like always."

"That's okay, it's going to take time. The important thing is that you can feel them."

"Oh..oh, I can feel them, alright."

"Good. Now, like I said, this machine is a little different, but it's going to help. You are secured, and I am right here with you."

"Don't, don't leave." She says quietly as I move to stand right in front of her, seeing just how worried she is.

"I won't leave you, Stef. I am right here with you. Is this machine too much?"