A New Home I

LENA POV

"Wow, now this is the way to live. What a nice place, Lena. Look at this!" Mike says as he wheels Bird inside my apartment, and I follow right behind with Stef. 

I had been really nervous about today partly because I wasn't sure if Duke was able to get everything done, which, of course, he did. But, I was also nervous and worried that Bird and Stef might not like the apartment. Judging by what I was seeing, Duke and his friend Darrius seemed to have really outdone themselves in more ways than I could ever imagine, and Mike already seemed to like it.

Stepping inside and closing the door behind me, I see fresh cut flowers on my tables and a platter of food with an assortment of little small sandwiches, crackers, cheese, and fruit.

Duke had also put up a ton of welcome home balloons, a banner, and even a cake and an array of cards. The amount he put in almost makes me cry because I just feel truly blessed to have a friend like him in my life, and I would most certainly repay him anyway I could. 

I did feel terrible he quit Lenox Hill on my behalf, and I was going to try to convince him to return if possible. But Duke was very stubborn and did things his own way, and if I knew him, he probably had already started up his own business or something.

"Wow, it's so pretty, Lena! The windows are so big too and so nice! I've never seen such a nice place before ever in my life. Only in the movies!" Bird says, turning around to look at Stef and I, and I can only smile at her excitement. "Look, Mama! Isn't it nice! Do you love it so far?" 

"It's..it's beautiful...baby. Yes, and....and I do love it." Stef wheels herself closer to Bird as they both seem to be taken by the giant windows as I turn to look at Mike, who is smiling as well.

"It's a beautiful place, Lena. Really."

"Thanks, Mike. I hope they feel like it's home. And you are welcome here anytime. Seriously, I had a key made for you and everything, and you can always come here to use the equipment or have meals with us. It's your home as well."

"Thanks, Lena. That means a lot." I smile at him again as we both walk over to Stef and Bird, who are quietly talking to each other. I see Stef grab Birds hand and softly kiss it as Bird grins widely at her. It just made me feel like I really made the right choice by having Stef live here with us, and I was optimistic that everything would work out.

"Lena, can we eat some of the food? It just looks so good!" Bird says as we all laugh. "Especially those yummy sandwiches and desserts."

"Sure, we can, but do you want to see your room, honey?" I kneel down to her as her smile grows wider, and she turns to look at Stef.

"Can we, Mama?"

"Of course, baby. I bet..I bet... it's amazing."

And judging by Bird's reaction, it was. She was so excited to see her room, which had put tears in her eyes as she hugged me along with Stef and Mike. That alone only continued to confirm that she belonged here with us as she seemed to love every single inch of her room. 

"If you don't like anything, we can change it, honey. Anything. We didn't know everything you liked, so maybe you me and Stef and I can look around. If you wanted to see what else you could add."

"I love it, Lena. I don't want to change anything! Nothing. I love the posters and the Celtics curtains! I didn't even know they made those!" She says very, very slowly using her walker to touch the curtains as I turn to look at Stef and Mike, and they are both smiling. 

"Did you know they made Celtics curtains, Mama?" Bird turns around, looking at all of us as Stef wheels herself over.

"I..I did not, baby. But...but it's pretty cool. The whole...whole room is nice."