A Hard Choice

STEF POV

"Well, I think your hair is beautiful." I say to Bird as I gently comb her pretty curls as we are sitting in my room watching Rudolph the Red Noised Reindeer. It had been a really nice holiday, and the food Lena brought for Thanksgiving dinner for all of us was delicious.

I wasn't all to sure about today, and didn't even want today to come, considering how I had been breaking down the last few days and contemplating my life and what the point of my existence was.

But, I guess my mind had pushed a bit of that to the side for a few hours, and I had even found myself laughing and enjoying some of the movies we ended up watching. My brain also seemed not to be too overstimulated by it all, but now it was nice to rest with Bird as Mike had gone for a walk around the hospital as Lena joined him.

"Thank you. So is yours, Stef. Can I do your hair after you finish mine?" She asks, turning around and looking right at me, smiling as I nod my head at her. I had stopped wearing my bandana since my hair had grown in, but I still needed these giant glasses with thick lenses in order to see anything clearly.

"Sure, sweets. Did...did you have fun today, baby? Was it okay for you?" I ask, gently continuing to comb her long, pretty hair.

"Yes. I had a really nice day. I never had a Thanksgiving like this, and it was so much fun. Not ever, and Lena cooks really good!"

"She..she does. You're gonna be eating good when you live with her." I say as she turns back around to look at me. "What's, what's wrong, sweets? We talked earlier, yes? Are you still worried? Mm, my love? You know Lena won't hurt you."

"I know. But where will you go? When do you leave here? I wasn't trying to be nosy, but I know you can't live alone yet, and you don't remember your apartment." She says as I put the comb down and grab her hand again.

"I will probably be with Mike. Depending on how my progress or a nurse will stay with me at my apartment. And um...no I..I can't live alone yet but ....one day I will be able to." I smile at her as she continues to look very hard at me as if she wants to say something but isn't sure. "Bird, I um...I don't remember a lot. Ya know? Who I was, I try to, and somedays I remember more than other days. But I will be okay, my love. I..I will. I don't want you to worry."

"But you remember me and Mike, and even some other stuff, right Stef?"

"Yes, yes, my love. And, ya know you asked me if I would be a cop again. I....I don't know the answer, babe. I think I would need to, you know, get myself really strong again, ya know? I try to remember why I liked it, and I'd want to make sure I was a good one and... I try to remember that sweets."

"You were an awesome one. You were super amazing, and I know you don't remember how you were, but this is how you were with me, though. You were nice, and you didn't arrest me when I stole those chips."

"You probably were very hungry, baby. I.. I knew that." I say having a vague memory of buying her chips in a store, but it leaves as fast as it comes.

"I was. You got me chips and a granola bar and a drink and apple. Me and my friend Mariana and I I wasn't hungry that night or the night you got me pizza. I was always kinda hungry, but I wasn't those two times."

"I'm glad you didn't go hungry those two nights, my love. And, I'm sorry baby, that your life was..was so hard. It's..it's going to get better, I promise you that, and I wish I could have helped you sooner, honey. I..I really do."

"But my life already is better, Stef. It got better the day I met you in the store. And it's okay, you didn't help me sooner, I'm glad we met when we did. Over basketball!" She says, smiling at me as I smile right on back at her.