Game Night

STEF POV

As I sit here with Bird watching a basketball game, we both are in our wheelchairs beside each other. I honestly did feel badly she saw me lose my mind at that dumb girl earlier down in PT and at Lena, but I just wanted to be left alone by this damm hospital staff.  Hell by this time I understood that I couldn't do a damm ass thing.  I really did, and they kept insisting on poking me and changing me like I was a damm baby. I couldn't even take a pee alone, much less shower or get anywhere alone. And I hated that. What I hated even more that I was watching this game and I have no idea who the hell anyone is.

"Stef, remember we had a bet?" Bird soon asks as I turn to look at her, and I shake my head.

"A bet?"

"Uh huh. I bet that the Celtics would win the championship. You said the Lakers. But then Mike said you changed your mind. BUT we both lost, can you believe it?"She says as I don't remember for shit. "It's ok if you don't remember. It was a long time ago. But, you showed me a lot of basketball moves and I got on the team at my school because of it."

"Yeah?" I smile as she nods her head, grinning wide at me. "I wish I remembered."

"It's ok. Your brain is healing, so it will take time for you to remember stuff. But, you remember me?"

"I do, yes. A little." I smile softly as she reaches for my hand again and holds it for I did remember her, but I just couldn't remember how we met, what we spoke about or what happened. Some, but not much of anything, even if I was in therapy for it now, which was another thing I hated.

"You were a cop. Well, you are a cop for the NYPD. You and Mike. And you saved me. But you got really hurt." She says as Mike had already told me I worked as a cop and that we were injured during a call, but I remembered nothing from it at all, not even that this little girl was there. It was all a blur, almost like it didn't exist in my mind. None of it did. Nothing and the photos I had near my bed did nothing to jar my memory. If anything all it did was annoy the hell out of me for not remembering this person I once was.

"I'm glad I was able to save you, Bird."

"Me too, but I didn't want you to get hurt. I ran from you before that."

"Why?"

"Well, I was supposed to be in school, but I wasn't, and you were gonna take me to talk to my mother. And I ran from you and your partner. I'm sorry. I think I was scared."

"You don't need to be. I, I guess I was trying to help."

"Do you remember you took me for pizza and you let me get whatever I wanted!?" She grins as I shake my head as I rub her fingers.

"No."

"You did, and it was the best. Lena said we could get pizza one day. This hospital food is awful."

"It is. I will agree." I smile as she smiles wider at me, and I feel her reach over to touch my red bandanna.

"Are you embarrassed about your hair? You don't need to be it will grow back. They shaved it because you had brain surgery."

"Yeah, it looks weird. I'll wear this...for a bit. I have a.. I have a big scar." I say looking back at the screen as I feel Birds hand gently rub my head in the spot where I had been shot. 

"I'm not scared. I still love you no matter what. Even if it never grows back, and even if you don't remember things." I feel tears begin to form in my eyes as I gently grab her hand with my one good arm and pull it up to my mouth softly kissing it. 

"Thank you, baby." I whisper keeping her hand close as I glance in the doorway and see Lena walk in as she pulls a chair up beside me.

She wasn't really my favorite and annoyed the fuck out of me because like everyone else she didn't get I wanted to be left the fuck alone, even by my brother who kept pushing me. Pushing me to the point it got on my nerves and I had screamed at him more then once to go away. 

Sighing I look back at the game on TV but see Bird jump.

"Ouch. Ouch." She says grabbing her knee as Lena quickly runs over to her and bends down rubbing it. I gently place my hand on Birds arm as she is wincing and tears start to roll down her face which is breaking my heart. I know alot of people in here didn't think I even had one right now but I still felt more then I liked to give off.

"What hurts Bird? What hurts honey?" Lena asks as Bird is still crying and I lift up my arm no matter how damm painful it is and wrap it around her shoulder. "Does it hurt here honey?"

"Yes, it hurts really bad Lena. It hurts so bad. It hurts really, really bad. Make it stop Lena. Please. It hurts. Why?"

"It's ok sweetheart, it will be ok, it's just leg cramps sweetheart. Your leg is tightening up and we have to move it back and forth ok?"

"But it hurts. It hurts really badly Lena. I can't move it. I can't." Bird continues to cry grabbing her leg as I run my fingers through her long curly hair for I'd take all the pain away if I could as my heart just continues to ache for her.

"Let, let her help you. It's ok. It's ok baby. Just breath. Breath with me." I whisper as she looks up at me tears streaming down her face. "Breath with me and listen, listen to Lena." I try hard to sooth this little girl as I hold her hand tight and we breath together in and out.

"In, and out baby. In and out. Slow deep breaths." I say as she follows my lead and I look down seeing Lena moving Birds leg up and down as her hand remains in mine. We breath a few more times as she finally relaxes and opens her eyes and Lena gently massages her leg.

"It stopped. It's going away."

"You ok?" I ask as she looks at me and nods her head but tears continue to run down her face as I gently wipe them. Maybe I couldn't use my legs and one of my arms and my coordination and memory were off but it just seemed when it came to this little girl I pushed myself in ways no one could get me to and that I cared. I cared deeply regardless of the fact that I had no idea of the person I was prior to being shot.

"Sweetie that might keep happening and I'm gonna show you a trick for when it does. I want you to bend your foot towards you. That will stop it from becoming any worse. Ok, honey?"

"Ok. I can try that next time. I can try." She sniffles as I continue to hold her hand and I glance at Lena again seeing how kind she was. 

"Listen I have an idea how about we get some ice cream? Does that sound fun?"

"Mm, yes but I want to stay here with Stef." She says looking at me and now resting her head on my arm as Lena smiles.

"That is fine. I can go get it and bring it back, ok? You don't need to leave Stef. And remember if that happens again bend your foot towards you. That can help you too Stef because you may get them as well."

"Sure." I nod as she stands up now and I continue to rub Birds hand.

"I'm gonna go get the ice cream. Bird, I know you love vanilla, Stef would you like anything?"

"Um, no."

"Ok, be right back." Lena says walking off as Bird moves her head off my shoulder and looks up at me.

"You ok baby? You ok?" I ask feeling so badly for her as she nods her head.

"Yeah."

"I, I get them too. Hurt, hurt like hell. But, they pass. And then you are ok."I softly smile at her as she continues to look worried and I gently try to rub her hand.

"Are you scared when you get them, Stef? Do you cry?"

"I do cry, but um, but then it's gone."She nods her head again as our hands remain in each others as I look up seeing Lena come back in with ice cream and a game.

"Sooo I got some ice cream and I found a board game. Candy Land anyone?" Lena asks pulling the table to us as she sets up the game as I can see a little happiness on Birds face as Lena hands her the ice cream.

Truth was I know I'm a cranky ass person right now, and mostly I couldn't help it. But I did seem to have a soft spot for this little girl, a big one and I wasn't fully sure why. But maybe I'd remember once things came back to me. If they ever did.