The Last Day

STEF POV

It was hard to believe that I was finally leaving this damn place tomorrow, along with Bird and Mike. Nine months had been a very long time, and it couldn't come fast enough for me. I was sick of this place, and I knew Bird was tired of being in here as well despite the fact that the two of us had grown our relationship here since being admitted back in April.

I was hoping the change of scenery and working with Lena full time now, along with other new specialists her and my brother had found, would improve my condition and my memory more. It was hard to say how all of this would work out, but we believed Bird would surely improve faster as well, and I was happy we could finally give her a family, something she deserved.

FLASHBACK

"Well, I told you my uncle Alvin left me his three bedroom apartment. I am going to turn one of the rooms into a PT and OT room for you and Bird. I'm going to purchase all the equipment, and Mike and Duke and I are going to find the right therapists for both of you. He left me enough money to live off for, well, a very long time. Stef, I am devoted to helping you walk, run, play ball again, and be a cop again if you want. I know we don't know how things will turn out, none of us do but I care and if this hospital won't let me do my job in a way that benefits you and Bird then I'm out." She says as I just look at her surprised, but amazed at the same time.

"Le.. Lena, you... you are going to do all that? You...that stuff is expensive. There must be..must be a way I can pay you for all of this. I can't.. I can't even imagine what those machines cost."

"You don't need to imagine, Stef. You never need to. And you can pay me by working hard. Working hard at getting better in terms of your body and mind. I believe I can make it happen if you put the work in. It's the same thing I told Mike."

"Lena...I... there has to be a way for me to pay you. I...

"Stef." She says gently, grabbing my hand and holding it. "Your brother is fighting me on this too." She laughs as I continue to stare at her. "Let's just focus on the next step. Discharging you and Bird and Mike. Okay? That's the main focus."

"I...I don't feel okay..not giving you something financially..I. I... take my disability checks." I insist as she shakes her head, looking back at me.

"Nope. Just get ready to leave. That's all you need to focus on right now. I will handle the rest."

FLASHBACK ENDS

Was I worried? No, I was terrified. What if Lena and I ended up not getting along? What if it ended up being a horrible thing for Bird? What if I got worse and ended up being a horrible mother to Bird or a shitty human being. What if it all went to shit? What if I had a stroke? What if I could never work or walk again?

I didn't know how any of this was going to work out, but Bird was so excited and there was no way I was going to give off how scared I was as the two of us sit and watch one of the basketball games and she turns to look at me smiling.

"I'm happy we don't need to stay here anymore, Stef. Are you?"

"I am love. I..I am, baby." I smile back at her as she grabs my hand, holding it.

"I never had my own room. Unless you count my hospital room. Have you? Do you remember I mean?"

"I.. I think so. Yes. I think it's pretty cool. You can make it how you want to. It will..it will be fun for you." I squeeze her hand as she grins wide at me. "When you invite Mariana over that will..that will be fun for you too."

"I never had a sleepover either. Not with any friends. Is it weird to be nervous about it?"

"No..not..not at all, baby. It's not weird at all, sweetheart. It's..it's normal." I try to reassure her as I can see more worry on her face.

"I was sad before about leaving you here, and now I don't have to, but I guess it's different. I don't know what a real home is, Mama. And, I don't know what it will be like or how I'm supposed to be. All of it is new to me. And, Mariana asked me if Lena did drugs. But I guess I'm worried about that too. What if I'm too much, and you both end up doing them?" Tears run down her face as I shake my head, gently pulling her hand a bit as she carefully sits on my lap now, and I hold her hand tighter, looking right in her eyes.

"I.. I know your life was hard, and..and I know it was very..very scary. Maybe as time moves on, you will talk to us about it. But..we..we... would never pressure you. But baby, Lena and I are not ever, ever.. ever going to do drugs. Ever. Or Mike. I...I can promise you that. Our..our main goal is to raise you, and to make sure you feel safe, car...cared for and loved. We want you to grow up..hap..happy and to feel like you can do anything. I know it's new, having a home that is safe, and it might be an adjustment, but that is okay. We are there for you..for you every step of the way. And just so you know, Bird, there is nothing... nothing in this world that you could do to make me not love you."

"You.. you.. push me every day, even.. even when I don't want to. I hate doing the work sometimes, but that..that isn't an option anymore. It's not. Because we have things to do.. and basketball games to play.. right? I promised you that I'd play on the court with you one day. And... And I'm working towards that baby." I say as she smiles wide at me, wiping my tears as I gently grab her little hand, kissing it.

"Yes, we do, Mama. I can't wait."

"I can't wait either, baby girl. I can't wait to...to give you the life you deserve and..and never had. I can't wait to..to see your smile every morning at breakfast and at bedtime. And when my reading gets..gets better, I can't wait to read to you at night. I will love you...so much."

"I love you more every day, and I'll never stop. I love you so much." She says as I wipe her tears now as she hugs me tightly. I can't help but hug her back knowing that I've made the right choice to be her mother, for there was just no other option and never was. But as I hold her closer to me and kiss the top of her head I see someone standing in the doorway, and thinking maybe it is Lena, I realize it is Tess again as she smiles at me and walks away again.