Christmas Day

LENA POV

"Wow, I'm never taking this off ever!!! I mean EVER in life!" Bird says with so much excitement as she holds up the number 33 Larry Bird Celtic's jersey. She had opened a few of her gifts already, but I could see the anticipation on Stef's face knowing she wanted her to open this one next.

Stef and I had a really nice time wrapping presents last night, and I had tried to keep the conversation light after she spoke about Tess. I could see on her face that it was painful, but I could also see she wanted to talk about her, even if it did hurt. That was very easy to understand, and I was hoping she would continue to talk about Tess with not just me but with Mike and her therapist because it was important. It was important for her to get these memories out of her mind, and maybe it would help her remember even more about her life and her life with Tess.

Stef really was a kind and sweet person. In fact she was one of the sweetest people I've ever met, and like I thought she was much, much more then her injury. The talks we had at night were really starting to show me more of who she was and even if she had been avoiding me for a few days I still was getting a sense of who Stef was, and she was amazing.

I valued our new friendship a great deal, and I was hoping while we were raising Bird together as friends that we might become best friends. She was someone I noticed I felt very comfortable with and I found it somewhat easy to talk to her about my uncle, even if it was difficult. She listened very intensely, and I could see by the look on her face and in her eyes that she cared, as I turn my head and watch her smile so sweetly at Bird.

"Hey, Santa must have been watching, little one!" Mike says as I move to sit beside Stef on the couch as she smiles at me once again. I return it as we happily watch the interaction between Bird and Mike.

"I don't think it was him, Uncle Mike."

"No, why so, kid?" 

"Because I didn't tell him I want this jersey! Hello!!!" She giggles as the three of us laugh.

"Hey, you never know, little one. Santa works in mysterious ways. And maybe I told him." He says, biting into a cookie as Bird narrows her eyes at him. Her face is so skeptical as she looks over at me and Stef now as I can't help but laugh a tad.

"Mama? Is that true?"

"It's...it's true baby. Maybe Uncle Mike...did. Did tell him. Either...either way, is it... Is it the right one? Do..do you like it?"

"YES!!! And I'm never taking it off!" She happily puts it on over her pajama shirt as her excitement nearly breaks my heart. "Look, Mama, isn't it so cool!" Walking over to us, Stef gently grabs Bird's little hand and kisses the top.

"It..it is. Soon...we can...we can play outside with it. When.. when it gets warm."

"You need one too, though. I can't be the only one wearing it, Mama." Bird says as Stef leans in and gently cups her cheek.

"Don't you worry..worry about that.  You... you wear this proud, and soon...soon as I can run...I am going to get one too. Okay?" 

"Hold that thought little, sis." Mike says, now getting up as Stef looks rather confused, and he reaches over and hands her the present. I, of course, knew what it was as she looks right back at him.

"What is this... this Mike?"

"Open it. Come on."

"Yeah, open it, Mama! Maybe Santa got you something, too!" Bird says happily as Stef quickly glances at me, and I smile at her. I can see the hesitation on her face as she rips the paper, her hands shaking a bit as I gently rest one of mine on top of hers. She glances at me again, blushing and rips the rest of the wrapping paper off. Opening the white box now, I don't think she knows what to say when she sees what is inside.