Tree Trimming Part II

Note: This chapter mentions self harm

STEF POV

Opening my eyes, I glance around my hospital room, not remembering a damn thing as I look over by the window and see Mike sleeping in the chair beside my bed.

Rubbing my temples, I feel rather disoriented, which was nothing unusual as I can see it is rather bright outside and snow is falling.

Thankfully, that terrible headache I had earlier was finally gone, at least for now. Who knows, maybe it was the damn meds or whatever, but the dreams I keep having about Tess, being a cop, and chasing Bird won't let up. And neither were the ones with me kissing Tess. Why would I kiss her? Weren't we just friends and partners? Was I making that shit up or what? I had no fucking ass clue much like everything else in my new life.

Hell, I remember dreaming about kissing Tess months ago, and I had asked Mike more about who she was, but he brushed it off saying Tess and I were just best friends and partners. But, part of me no matter how much I didn't remember needed answers from my brother because I knew he knew more than what he was saying.

Resting my head back down on the pillow, I stare up at the ceiling as everything continues to grow more and more blurry. Yesterday, I had been fitted for glasses, and after speaking with the doctor, I found out I had four seizures earlier this week, which was nothing but a royal pain the ass. I felt like all I had been doing was sleeping, resting, being spoon-fed, and just wasting away. I really wanted to go back outside again because being in here, it made me insane.

Sitting up a bit , let out a loud cough, which much startles Mike as he quickly sits up.

"Hey, how are you doing, Stef? Are you feeling okay today, sis?"

"Tired. What, what the hell else is, new. And I can barely see shit." I say, seeing him grab a cup of water and hold it up to my mouth as I take a small sip with the straw.

"It's alright, sis. Can take some time. But here, these should help." He says as I watch him grab something from of my nightstand and open it. "These came in today and should help."

He takes them out of the case and places them on my eyes. I can see a hell of a lot better, but they were giant and not very pleasant looking as I stare right at him feeling like I have two coke bottles on my eyes.

"They look nice on ya! Can you see?"

"Yeah, but I never had to wear damn glasses before, now I'm going blind or what?" I say as he holds up a little mirror and I get a look at myself hating it. I really did hate looking at myself in the mirror because I looked nothing like that photo of me on the wall or the one Bird carried around. Not even close as I push the mirror away and Mike places it back on the nightstand.

"Ah, you remembered?" He smiles taking a seat back down as I notice he's not in his wheelchair. I was happy my brother was doing better, but at the same time I'd never admit that I didn't want him to leave.

"Lucky guess. Seems I'm damn destined to look even more like a fool. Or a fucking troll."

"Are you kidding me? Come on you were always a knock out, Stef. Still are." He smiles as I stare hard at him and roll my eyes taking these stupid ugly glasses off.

"Yeah, maybe you're the blind one. So, when the hell can I go back outside? Or do they plan on keep me locked up in here for another seven months?"

"You had a few seizures, Stef. It was either triggered by stress or a memory. The memory could have caused the elevated stress and then the seizer the doctors said. Memories you won't talk about might I add."