50 - The Help

Ben's POV

Jennifer slept for about 11 hours, and she still didn't eat. I was starting to get worried and I ran out of ideas and foods to offer her. She didn't wanted to see anyone in her family and she just laid in bed all day and watched TV.

I knew she was distracting herself so she wouldn't have to think. But at some point, she had to. She needed to talk, she needed to feel again. To keep on going. Or at least, to eat.

I thought of one thing I hadn't tried and went downstairs, sneaking her phone out.

I called Leah and she immediately picked up.
„Hi baby!", she answered happily.
„Leah, it's Ben."
„Oh.", she seemed confused.
„I'm calling to... god how am I going to say this?.. I'm...", I took a deep breath. „Jennifer's not well. Really not good and I'm running out of ideas how to help.."

„What happened?", Leah asked worried.
„She... she was pregnant and she lost it.", I said.

Silence.
„She won't eat. She won't talk to anybody."

„Oh god...", Leah said, and it sounded as if she was really hurt hearing that.
„Do you want me to come over?", she asked.

„Please.", I begged.
„I'll hurry."

I thought it would be hard to call her and ask for help but it was in fact easy. Because nothing was as important as for Jennifer to recover from what happened.

Leah arrived and I let her in. To me the past didn't matter right now. All that matters is my beautiful, heartbroken fiancé. I hoped her best friend could do what I couldn't.

„Thank you for coming.", I said.
Leah put her hand on my arm and said: „I'm so sorry, Ben."
„Thanks. She's upstairs.", I said and nodded towards the stairway.

Leah walked upstairs and I followed her.
Jennifer was watching TV with a blank stare and didn't even notice us.
I knocked on the doorframe to get her attention.
„Baby, someone's here for you.", I said and she turned her head to look at us.

Leah walked in and Jennifer's eyes widened just a little bit.
„Hey", Leah said softly.
Jennifer frowned and turned her head away from us.

Leah got on the bed and took the remote out of Jennifer's hands, then turned the TV off. Jennifer still had her head turned away from Leah.

„I'm here.", Leah said and softly touched her shoulder. I heard Jennifer whimper very quietly.

Leah put her arm around Jennifer and the other one to the side of her head so she could pull her into her embrace.

Jennifer didn't put up a fight and let her.
„It's okay. I know how you feel. It feels like the end of the world, but I promise, it's not.", Leah spoke softly to her.
„You have no idea how it feels.", Jennifer said. Although her voice sounded broken, I heard a little anger in it too.

She was finally talking about it!

Leah turned her head in my direction and nodded softly, like she was saying she got her and I should leave to give them some privacy.
I nodded and left, hoping this would really help Jennifer.

Leah's POV

„I do.", I said. „I know exactly how it feels."
I still spoke very softly, trying not to show how emotional I was.

„How come?", Jennifer asked, still sounding like she doesn't believe me.

„I lost one too.", I whispered.
She looked up to me and her eyes got watery.
„You did?", she asked with a trembling voice. Her chin was shaking.