54 - I Do

Jennifer's POV

As I walked down the aisle and saw Ben standing at the altar, smiling brightly at me, I had troubles holding my tears back.

Here we are, and it's finally happening.

Ben nodded softly, because he saw me struggling and I kept on walking towards him, smiling like a fool.

He held out his hand for me as I got closer.
Only a few steps separated us from each other when I grabbed his hand and let him lead me to face him.

He had tears in his eyes and he swallowed, before he leaned closer to me, whispering: „You're a dream. I love you."

The priest began: „Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to join Benjamin Geza Affleck-Boldt and Jennifer Lynn Lopez in holy matrimony."

Ben and I were holding us by our hands, facing each other.

The priest continued: „I was told the couple wants to change personal vows first." He smiled at us.

I went first, because I was sure I couldn't say anything after Ben's.

I looked into his eyes then at the paper, which was handed to me by my sister Lynda. I let my head sink and shook it slightly, then smiled and gave the paper back.

„Ben, baby.", I smiled at him with teary eyes.
„Nothing ever felt more right to me, than this moment. It's still impossibly hard to believe that through all the obstacles and all the time that has passed, we found our way back to each other. Finally and inevitably our paths led us perfectly to this exact moment, this perfect moment, that feels like a dream I never want to wake out of. With you, giving love and happiness became more joyful than receiving it, although you never fail to give me all the love you have. You're my guy... and it's my honor and pleasure to love you for the rest of my life."

My voice started trembling towards the end and Ben wiped away a tear that ran down his cheek before cupping my face and kissing me.
I never needed to write down my vows because in this moment, the words came out easy and naturally.

Ben smiled at me. It was his turn now.

„Jennifer, years ago, I had no idea the road ahead would mean navigating so many labyrinths and hold so many surprises until it all culminated in this moment, one of the most perfect of our lives. And we certainly earn this very moment, for all the things we've gone through with and without each other. Every day I got to spend with you, even the darker ones, were the happiest of my life, because you were by side.
I promise you to never take the important things for granted or let the silly insignificant nuisances of the day get in the way of embracing every precious moment. Old wounds were healed today. I love you, Jennifer.
This is heaven. Right Here. We're in it now."

I sobbed and dabbed away a tear under my eye. He is perfect and this is perfect. He was right. This really is heaven. This time I leaned in to kiss him.

I didn't even listen to what the priest said next, because I was lost in Ben's eyes, until the priest asked the question, that only had one right answer to it.

„Do you, Benjamin Geza Affleck-Boldt, take this woman to be your wife, to live together in holy matrimony, to love her, to honor her, to comfort her, and to keep her in sickness and in health, forsaking all others, for as long as you both shall live?"

My eyes switched from his eyes to his lips, as I wanted to memorize how they looked forming the words that will bond us for life: „I Do".

The priest continued: „And do you, Jennifer Lynn Lopez, take this man to be your husband, to live together in holy matrimony, to love him, to honor him, to comfort him, and to keep him in sickness and in health, forsaking all others, for as long as you both shall live?"

„I do.", I said, squeezing Ben's hand.

The priest smiled. „Benjamin, please take the ring and place it on Jennifer's finger."

Casey gave Ben the ring.

„Repeat after me", the priest said.
„I give you this ring as a token and pledge of our constant faith and abiding love."

Ben pushed the ring up my finger slowly and repeated: „I give you this ring as a token and pledge of our constant faith and abiding love."

I took a deep breath.

„Jennifer, please take Ben's ring now and place it on his finger."

Now Leslie handed me the ring.

„Repeat after me", the priest said once again.
„I give you this ring as a token and pledge of our constant faith and abiding love."

„I give you this ring as a token and pledge of our constant faith and abiding love.", I repeated while pushing the ring on Ben's finger as we locked eyes.

„Bless, O Lord, these rings which we bless in your name, so that those who wear them
may remain entirely faithful to each other, abide in peace and in your will, and live always in mutual charity. Through Christ our Lord.", the priest said, holding his hands over ours.

„It's my great honor to now pronounce you husband and wife.", he continued and it felt like a ton of weight was lifted off my shoulders.

„There's been kissing throughout the ceremony, but let's just do it again.", the priest continued, earning a few laughters from our guests. „You may kiss the bride now. Again.", he said to Ben.

My heart jumped. Ben cupped my face while I wrapped my arms around his waist.
Before our lips met, he whispered: „Thank you for being my wife.", then gently placed his lips on mine. Our lips met while our guests started to clap and cheer. When we broke the kiss and looked at everybody they were standing, some wiping tears away, most of them cheering and clapping in pure joy for us.

Ben held my hand and looked at me, smiling. I smiled back and kissed him again.
Then we walked down the aisle, smiling like fools.

We made it!