Chp 1

Quick disclaimer: no smut, even if you request it, I'm not/ don't feel comfortable writing it. If that's your thing, don't expect any here.
I try to make it as inclusive as possible, however this uses female pronouns and typical feminine nicknames, as well as a female body type.
Please don't leave hate on my works, if you don't like this kind of thing, just don't read it.

Now enjoy!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SHE'S CHASING YOU, SHE'S COMING, SHE'S COMING, SHES COMING, RUN, RUN, RUNRUN, RUNRUNRUNRUNRUNRUNRUNRUNRUNRUN. ~

"OOF" You wake up with a thump. It seems like you fell off the bed. You feel a dull pain in your side

BEEP, BEEP, BEEP...

... and a thumping headache apparently. You smack the alarm clock and decide coffee can fix all your problems, so you get up and go the kitchen; picking up a book that was on your bedroom floor.

"Huh, the Northern lights? I thought I put that away?" you shrug, guessing you must have fell asleep reading again, much to your annoyance.

You slump as you walk to the kitchen, ready for your coffee, and not ready for work. You take a quick glance at your phone as you wait for your coffee to be done, then you realise the time.

"CRAP" You inhale as you race upstairs to get ready. You are entirely late for the 3rd time this week. You quickly brush your teeth, not even bothering to brush your hair, and slap on the exact same outfit you wore every day this week. Although, you didn't really have time to pay attention to that. You grab your keys and rush out the door, basically flying to work.

It's not like you didn't enjoy work, if you didn't like it, you would have quit, you just have a bad habit of reading in bed at ungodly hours, then waking up late as a result. Which isn't even necessary considering you work in a book shop/cafe, meaning you can read all day anyways.

You run into the door of the shop before unlocking it, feeling quite stupid. You step in and make yourself a coffee there because you STILL hadn't had one this morning. There was a note on the coffee maker that said, "I know you were going to be late today, so I locked the door and left without covering for you, hence why you probably ran into it! ~Ruby" You giggled at the note before tossing it in the bin. When your coffees done you settle in your nice chair behind the counter and read for about 10 minutes until you hear the door open, which is extremely odd considering the time and how quiet the shop usually was right now since you usually got college students who come later in the day. You peek over the counter and repeat your rehearsed words as per usual.

"Hi! Welcome to the secret garden Bookstore! How can I help you!" you say with a bright smile, although for some reason, you don't feel like smiling. It's like the air is heavy with sorrow; like at a funeral or something. You see a tall skeleton in front of you. He looks tired and grumpy; he's covered in a shiny black goo, and he has tentacles sticking out of his back.

There's an awkward silence where he kind of just stares at you before he talks.

"Can I get a black coffee? Oh, and this too." He places a copy of the Northern lights on the counter. His voice is deep and thick, like honey.

"That'll be 11.50. Are you staying in or is it to go?" You reply, feeling more sluggish than usual for some reason.

"I'm staying whilst I have my coffee then leaving," he mumbles before he places the money on the counter.

"Ok!" You turn and go to the kitchen to get his coffee forgetting something "OH, What's your name? For the cup." you add not wanting to sound weird.

"Nightmare." he shouts to you. Hearing his name made you shudder, but you just brush it off as a draft of wind. You made his coffee and wrote his name with a smiley face next to it; you thought he'd need it. Suddenly there's a massive crash and the sound of wood splintering followed by shouting.

"Oops, sorry boss, didn't know you were in here. there's another bookstore down the street though. I'll just kill the freak who runs it, and you can go up there, I'll make sure not to wreck that one!" A higher voice shouts.

You run out to what used to be the front of your store, now a smouldering mess.

"WHAT THE HELL?" You scream, your livelihood literally burning in front of you at the feet of a skeleton with black tears running down his face.

"Oh, here she is now!" He laughed happily. Nightmare seemed to be glaring at this new skeleton, who was currently aiming a knife at you. You start stomping towards him when he throws the knife. You dodge it effortlessly before continuing your mission. They're shocked for a second before he throws more knives at you, all but one you dodge. You're now even angrier as you have a shallow cut on your arm. When you reach for him, he tries to run, only to be caught by one of nightmare's tentacles.

"Oh no Killer, this is interesting. You'll be taking your punishment for wrecking a place I was browsing in right now." he says with a sternness in his voice, almost like a father to his son. Killer turns to face you and smiles apologetically; he starts to talk but you punch him.

"WHAT THE HELL DID YOU DO TO MY SHOP!?!" You shout seething with rage.

"I may have destroyed it..." He says rubbing his cheek where you punched him. You sigh and think about what to say next. He may be an adult, but he looks and acts like a child, and you should calm down anyways.

"I want you to pay for it to be rebuilt, as well as anything you damaged," you say with the same sternness in your voice as nightmare "AND I want you to apologise to me and this customer for ruining our days!" you say whilst pointing at nightmare. Killer bursts out into laughter, expectant of something. However, he stopped laughing when he realised it wasn't coming and apologised like you asked. Nightmare sighed and let him go before turning to you. Killer grinned like crazy clearly expecting something again.

"I'm extremely sorry about him and will pay for your shop's repair. What's your number?" Nightmare mumbled seemingly not able to look you in the eyes. Killer's smile dropped and he got really fidgety all of a sudden.

"Pardon?" you say not believing your ears. Did he just ask for your number?

"I asked for your number." He repeated still not looking up" So we can discuss repairs." he quickly added.

You smile and write down your number on a piece of paper before handing it to him.

"Y/n" you smile. He blushes a little and takes the paper before walking off with his book and Killer in tow.

You decide to go home because you can't exactly work anymore. Whilst bandaging your arm at home you keep thinking about nightmare. Today was so odd. You decide to get a good night's rest for once.

You wake up to a text from an unknown number.

"Hey, it's Nightmare, Meet me at the daily drip at 4 o'clock"