Chp 20 (YAYAYAYAY!)

Notes:

TW: mentions my take on Dreamtale and the apple incident. its not too different but its not canon.
Enjoy<3

He purposefully ended up in the village, not many memories here since he didn't come often for fear of THEM. Falling into shadow, he opened his eye and looked around for whoever was here. Of course they weren't at the village. Of course they had to be at the tree. If they weren't Nightmare wouldn't be tortured by the past after all. He took a deep breath and rose from the ground, reluctantly pulling himself up from the shadows. He felt that familiar dirt path under him; his knees nearly buckling. He steadied himself and started to walk that familiar path to the tree. His and Dream's tree. The one the he cut down. He shook his head. He HAD to. He HAD to do everything, didn't he? I'd he didn't he would've died. Dream LEFT him to fend for himself. He ran off to go play, as per usual. He didn't guard the tree. Didn't do his job. THEY were going to kill him. Beat him to death. Cold. Alone. He didn't have a choice, all this was Dream's fault. Everything was Dream's fault right? That's why he needed the apples in the first place. Black and gold. That gold one would fix him. Fix his mistakes. FIX EVERYTHING. Suddenly he trips a little, ripping him back to reality. He can't go back into that mind-set. Not now. Not when he had you and the boys to protect. He stops dead in his tracks. The tree's there, full and thriving, apples shining and swaying slightly in the wind. The skies are bright and blue, the purple and yellow flowers untrampled, no apples on the floor. Just a crown. His crown. He fell to the ground, knees finally giving in. He shut his eye tight, a throbbing pain in the right side of his head, memories of his skull shattering, his ribs cracking into dust, no one caring, no one helping. Suddenly it all disappeared, the pain, the hallucinations, everything. The only real thing was him hyperventilating crouched on the floor. Taking a deep yet shaky breath, he stands up, noticing he's still clutching the right side of his face. Putting his hand down and composing himself, he walks forward toward what was left of his mother. He ignores the half eaten apple still on the floor, daring himself to even glance at it. It still lay where he dropped it, untouched. And it wasn't going to be touched again. He listened out, finally focusing on the task at hand. A weak cry came out from behind the tree, or the stump anyways. Slipping into shadows once more, he moved around the stump to find... Dream? Fucking Dream!?! He pulled up in anger, not really thinking about his actions.

"Dream?! What the fuck are you doing here?!" stars Nightmare may have messed his eye up more than intended, but it's not like he cared, did he? His face looked a little like Geno's now, half melted socket. There was no way he could see out of it, he'd struggle to aim a bow now. Maybe that's why he's sat here crying?

Dream shrunk back before talking, probably out of fear. That didn't bother Night at all."I could ask the same to you. I thought you'd never come here again, guess I was wrong huh?"

"Shut up. I only came because I sensed a weird negativity over here, considering it's a DEAD au." He spat back, venom trickling out of his voice.

"Stop acting like this is my fault, I just want my brother back!" Dream whined like a child. Of course he pulled this.

"Oh for the love of- Dream. I am your fucking brother. I look different, sure, and I've done some stuff maybe you'd think I wouldn't as a SIX year old, but I'm still me! I can't help that you don't accept me because I'm not what you want in a brother. That's your fucking problem since you did this to me. Grow up and face the facts." Nightmare facepalmed, clearly tired of repeating himself.

"I DIDN'T DO ANYTHING! I WASN'T HERE! DO YOU NOT GET THAT? HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO GROW UP? I PHYSICALLY COULDN'T, THANKS TO YOU!" the tension in the air between the twins grew as Dream shouted.

"THATS EXACTLY WHY ITS YOUR FUCKING FAULT DREAM! You were NEVER there for me. You KNEW they were hurting me whenever you left, and you still fucking did. They were going the KILL me that day! I had to do it. If I didn't, I'd be dead, the universe would break and no one would have their own free will or anything. You understand that at least, right? So why are you hurting my family over something you did to me? I'm sorry you didn't grow up. I'm sorry you went fucking insane just like me but you know what? Screw it. Screw you and screw this whole fucking place. Get better. I managed it. Go smile for people, they like it when you do it. Can't handle my happiness though, it scares them. My girlfriend is currently sat, bedridden, waiting for me to get back because she can't walk or even read anymore. You wanna know why? She made me fucking happy. You landed your hit, great job. Stay positive brother. I'm going back to the love of my life. Goodbye." Nightmare sighed as he teleported out of this damn au, away from his twin who lay there, still on the floor, unmoving even after their argument. Nightmare wasn't worried was he? This was Dream after all, his scheming, useless, weak example of a brother he once loved dearly. The very same who had hurt him on many accounts, traumatised him, made him insane. Yet when he saw Dream sat helpless on the floor, his soul couldn't help but feel a little sad for its twin. he didn't care at all.

He sighed and pushed open the door to your room. This wasn't the time for an internal crisis.

"Everything ok?"

"Sure whatever. I want cuddles, do I have permission to heal your legs a little so we can cuddle the good way?"

"Nope! But I think I can manage moving anyways, dun want them to seize up after all" You giggle a little and move across so he can get in bed. Seems like he could do with a good cuddle, he looks stressed. He just grunts in response and gets in, which just makes you giggle more. "Stop being grumpy! I should be the grumpy one, you left me without notice. And you get cuddles, which is what you wanted."

"I'm always grumpy. Not my fault you decided to date me. That's your problem princess." he says as he settles into the bed, getting comfy.

"Suppose it is." You sigh out as you hoist yourself onto him without putting your weight on your legs. Harder than you expected. You puff out a little air you'd sucked in trying to get up. "It's like climbing a bloody mountain! You didn't even help me, you meanie."

"I like watching you struggle. It's in my nature." he laughs a little.

"Why do we have such a big bed if we plan on sleeping like this?"

"I don't know I just bought it! I didn't anticipate you'd come along and I'd want this! I don't usually appreciate being touched, and I guess I've always assumed if I ever dated or married anyone it'd be more of a business arrangement or something. Not whatever the hell this is." he throws his arms up in a gesture, but then flops them down on top of you.

"I don't really know either. I think it's called love though. I'll have to google it. Anyway that was longer than I expected. What the hell were you doing? Hopefully not something that could include getting hurt." You put a little sternness in your voice at the end, but it doesn't seem to land with him, or hes just unfazed.

"No more talking. Only cuddles." He mumbles, closing his eyes.

"Ugh. You can't hide stuff like this from me forever, you get that right? I'll let it slide for now though." you say as you nuzzle into his chest, relaxing again. You close your eyes too, not sleeping, just out of comfort. Kind of like a happy cat slow blinking.