Chp 37

Notes:

Sorry this took a while! I had to get my laptop back after letting someone else use it for a bit, I can't post on my phone. Either way the next chp is fully written, if I'm feeling nice I'll post it tonight. You know how I feel about cliffhangers. Also Cross x Reader oneshot coming out soon! Give me some suggestions guys, writers block is no joke. At that, enjoy <3

The bell chimes as you go into the little cafe you and Ruby would go in on Summer afternoons. You liked the windows near the front of it, they always had flowers on the windowsills, and purple foxgloves grew in boxes outside, slowly twisting from a deep purple to a dusty blue. Looking around the quiet cafe, you quickly found Night, who waved you over. Awkwardly smiling, you sit, mumbling a quiet hello as you put your bag down. He had sat you both near the window, almost as if he knew. You inwardly scold yourself for thinking that when you know its probably because he likes flowers himself, not everything's about you.

"Uh, I'll go get our orders, ok? Do you want a black coffee? I usually wouldn't ask but they have some really nice herbal teas here. Not really a coffee cafe." You smile, getting your purse out. He tells you the coffee would do and you nod, wandering over to the counter to order the drinks. You were kind of glad to be away from the table, a sort of awkward and embarrassed air hung over the both of you, forcing you to mumble and barely make conversation. You get the drinks and pay, taking them back to the table. You sit, putting everything down and taking a sip of your drink.

"So ho-" you both start at the same time, pretty much breaking the tension completely and leaving you both laughing.

"You go first." You giggle, taking another sip.

"I was going to ask you how you'd decided to talk to me again... its been a while since we've not shouted at each other hasn't it?" he said a little solemnly, you frowning slightly and playing with your hands under the table out of nerves.

"Yeah, about that. I-I was completely in the wrong yesterday night. I shouldn't have shouted at you, so I could at least be civil in my apology couldn't I? You were just trying to help, and I was just trying to push you away." You break eye contact, your awkwardness coming back. He nods and has some coffee, putting it down with a clatter.

"Not completely in the wrong. I'm an asshole, I pushed you too far again and I should've recognised you probably didn't want me to help. Then again, I'm particularly selfish most of the time. I felt like it was within my best interest to help you, regardless of what you wanted, even if it ended up like this. I feel like we're at a bit of a stalemate here if I'm being honest." You nod and take another sip, looking out the window at the foxgloves shining in the sun. "Do you like foxgloves?"

"Yeah... they're pretty. I 'd keep some myself if they weren't poisonous." you say, still gazing out the window. A light breeze was pushing them around, causing the sun on their petals to shift ever so slightly.

"I'd keep some myself if I actually went into my own yard." He chuckled softly. "The poisonous part isn't too bad... if anyone's stupid enough to eat a clearly poisonous plant deserves their fate don't they?"

"Not necessarily. I mean, they're very enticing aren't they? Bright pretty colours like blues and purples, gorgeous soft petals hanging down plus they have almost a storybook feel to them. You don't have to be stupid to think that's pretty do you? Almost like a sirens song, just trying to lure you in." you make eye contact again, finding him still gazing out the window.

"Mmm... I suppose you're right. They are enticing. But since I know they're dangerous, I won't be doing anything with them." he sighs, looking at you again.

"But what if you didn't know? You bought some and planted them, only to find out they were poisonous a little while later. At that point I'd keep them until they hurt me." You two weren't talking about flowers anymore. "Wouldn't want to waste any money." you shrugged, sitting back slightly.

"But why keep them in the first place then? Money isn't worth your health."

"It isn't, but it isn't about the money really. It's about the care I took planting them and watering them every day, and how nice they looked afterward. The moneys a tiny part of it."

"I think I'm starting to get it now... but I'd still have gotten rid of them earlier." he laughed.

"I've only explained what I'd do. Everyone would probably do different things... Ruby said what you said for example." you smirk.

"Ok, how many times did Ruby tell you to leave me?" he laughed, taking another sip of his coffee.

"Mmm... three. But she was the one who told me to date you in the first place, so it works out. She also told me to do this. I wouldn't have otherwise." you sip a bit more of your drink.

"Will you come back at any point?" He asked, his eye taking on a pleading light.

" Nightmare. I am sick to death of telling you no. I have tried to be nice. I have tried to be patient. I have tried to make simple conversation. I even bought you a drink. I can't believe you're still doing this. Give up. The answers no, and it will be unless I tell you otherwise, so stop asking. This in and of itself is hard for me, let alone you asking me to be royalty again. Why can't we just coexist, be in each other's presence for five minutes before you ask me?" you huff, folding your arms.

"Right, right, sorry." He waves his hands in a defensive gesture.

"No, you clearly don't understand, otherwise you wouldn't have said it in the first place." You pause, thinking of an analogy. "You're familiar with Greek mythos, right? I feel like Persephone. Right now, that's how I feel. Like I'm stuck in the underworld with someone making promises of everything I could ever want if I stay, despite how miserable it makes me. Despite the fact it makes summer and spring crumble and rot around me because I can't get out."

"You have quite the imagination hmm?" He says, sounding bored. How polite of him.

"Not that far a stretch your majesty. Not. At. All." You finish your drink right there, smirking slightly. "All hail you and all. I'm going to go now, nothing left to drink." You stand, picking up your bag and taking a few steps before you turn around. "Oh, and sorry. I was meant to say that." you smile passive aggressively, turning back to walk away, but he grabs your arm.

"I'll buy you another drink if you sit back down. It couldn't do you any harm to be a bit nicer, could it?" He smiles in a jokey way, but you aren't in the mood.

"Proving my point here. Least I'm not your niece huh? You can't bribe me to come back. Too far gone. See ya. Or not." you try and take your arm back, but he stops you.

"Please?"

"Already begging Nightmare? Really? I thought you were above that. Nothing you could offer benefits me." You sigh, tugging at your arm again.

"Thats not true. I can offer you anything you've ever wanted. Money, dresses, good food, jewellery, children-" he says quickly, trying to intrigue you with anything. All of them promises of everything, you never wanted everything. How could he not see that?

"I'm stopping you there. I want a caring boyfriend. I want someone who'll stay with me through anything. Who doesn't make promises he can't keep." You look down at him coldly.

"I can do that. I can do all of that. Give me the chance." He said, pleading.

"I did. Actions speak louder than words." He nodded and let go of your arm. "Good boy." You smile again, going home. There you were thinking this would be nice too. Ruby wasn't home from work yet, so you picked up a book, finding your bookmark and reading a few chapters, deciding to make dinner for when Ruby got back. She should be back within the next ten minutes or so, so you just fry off some bits and it's good enough. Suddenly you get a phone call, nearly dropping your phone out of shock, juggling it until you actually catch it before picking up.

"Hello?"

"Hello Y/n." You recognised that voice. Even through the tinny phone speakers, you recognised Dream's voice. "Are you well?"