Chp 12

Notes:

TW :Anxiety attack
This chapter's song- shadow puppets- payday

more domestic fluff really. Enjoy as always! <3

(See the end of the chapter for end notes.)

Nightmare woke up to a mass of Negativity in the night. He sat up, forgetting you were on him, and also forgetting it was probably like, 3 AM.

"Shit! Sorry. Forgot you sleep on me."

"Mmm... what'sup?" you yawn and stretch a little.

"Someone's having a nightmare"

"Oh. That's why you're so tired all the time then huh? If you wake up every time someone has a nightmare you wouldn't sleep like, ever."

"Huh? No it's someone near us. P'rolly one of the boys if it wasn't you."

"I didn't have a nightmare; you'd know about it if I did."

"Oh really?"

"Mhm. I'm very active during nightmares. I fall off the bed and stuff. I've been told it's quite amusing. Don't get em too often though. My last one was p'rolly the day I met you actually."

"Weird. Maybe I'm not your dream man then. Maybe I'm your nightmare one."

"I think that's the corniest thing you've ever said."

"Probably. Any way I should go sort this out. The boys are 'active during nightmares' too. Don't want them to hurt themselves, so I tend to stop them."

"Makes sense. We'll go then"

"We? No, they're ACTIVE. They kinda fight you with magic and stuff. Dangerous. They tend to get nightmares about their past, and they had hard lives, so there's a lot of being scared and angry and stuff. You shouldn't come. If they don't scare ya they'll hurt ya."

"I'll be fine. I'm not easily scared, and I'm good at dodging." With that you get up, forcing Night to follow you.

"Is there any way I can talk you outta this?"

"Nope."

"Fine. I think it's Dust. As far as I can tell anyway. He calms down if you remind him none of it's real, including the phantom of his brother. We got rid of it for the most part, but it still pops up in nightmares."

"Oh, have you had a kid die?"

"No, they're adopted right? Horror's the only one of them who didn't lose all their family, usually by their own hand. He has... other problems. It's fine though, they all know each other's triggers. Like not to waste food, or generally bring up any time before they were here. Just to be safe. My past doesn't bother me as much as theirs does them, but I still hate talking about it."

"I get where you're coming from. I like living in the now, kid me didn't have that much fun after all. Are there any triggers I should know about?"

"We can talk about the boy's stuff later, we need to focus on Dust right now. Stuff like that we need to make sure one of them won't walk in on us, don't want to start a panic attack or anything."

"True, I get it." You both get into the corridor where the boy's rooms are and sure enough you hear banging in Dust's room. Nightmare opens the door and scopes out the situation, and it's not good. This is one of his worst ones. His eyes are wide open even though he's asleep, and he's clearly deep in an anxiety attack, just mumbling 'make it stop' repeatedly while sharpened bones stab into invisible enemies.

"Never mind, don't tell him it isn't real. He's having an anxiety attack. Just, stay calm, I can handle it, but he can't really see us since he's asleep. You'll recognise when he's awake, so just wait." He proceeds to walk in, beckoning you in too. "Dust, this is Nightmare. Me and Y/n are here, and we think that you're having an anxiety attack, but we are here to protect you, ok? I want you to breathe deeply, I can help you yeah? In...out...in...out. Good. Is it ok if I touch you? I think it might help." Dust mumbles something about being sorry between shaky breaths before he agrees to let Night hold him. Night gives him a tight hug, holding him close and rocking him slightly. "I've got you, see? I'm here, you're safe. Do you think you can wake up yet?" He doesn't respond verbally, but the angry crackles of magic in the air gradually fade out and the bones disappear. "Good job. You're fine, I'm not letting go until you tell me to k? Just tell me when you're ready."

"I-I'm fine. You can let go. S-sorry. I didn't mean to wake you up." He says, his breathing still a little shaky.

"Oh, sweetie. It's fine. We don't mind as long as you're safe. Do you think you can go back to sleep or do you want stay awake a little longer? If you want anything, I could grab it for you. Maybe a snack or some water?"

"I don't really want to go back to sleep right now, but could you grab me some water?"

"Of course hun. Night, you want anything?"

"Uh, just grab a book from the bottom of my pile in the library." With that you left on your little adventure for water and books. You did this a lot back at your house, so you were highly skilled at it. You pushed open the heavy library door that Night always makes look so easy to open and grab a book near the bottom of his pile. It was a hefty fantasy-romance that looked quite old and well loved. You groaned as you picked it up, mainly because you were picking up a heavy book from the bottom of a pile of other heavy books. You then shut the door and walked to the kitchen to get some water. You grab a glass and get Dust's water before you decide you were going to make you all some hot chocolate. You made it the proper way, melting chocolate, using cream, the whole shebang. And you topped it off with whipped cream and marshmallows. You put it all on a tray and walked back to Dust's room.

"I have come back from my quest good sirs. Sorry it took so long; I made a surprise." With that you walked in and proudly displayed your hot chocolates.

"Oh wow, thanks."

"Stars, how are you so perfect"

"I know I know. Save your praises for when you try it. I made it the RIGHT way. No microwave crap. Anyway, I have to treat my boys every now and then." You pass around the hot chocolate tray, dropping off Dust's water too. You give Night the book, and he smiles at it.

"Nice pick! Haven't read this in a few centuries I'd have to say. Now you two are gonna have to deal with it."

"Ooo we reading until we collapse?!? I love doing that. Can I read it in a bit?"

"Sure. I don't see why not." You tuck Dust in bed and turn on a lamp, filling the room with a warm orange light. You kiss him on the forehead and sit next to Night, resting your head on his shoulder as he starts to read, his deep voice actually quite soothing. You stay like that, not even bothering to stop him so you can read. Dust smiled in bed, his eyes closed, probably just letting the story relax him, as were you. By the time Night's finished about half of the book, Dust is deep asleep, all the hot chocolate has depleted, and you were pretty close to sleeping too. Night chuckled, he was so happy like this. Just sat with you, comfy and settled, like the world stopped just for you two. There was a storm going on outside, its soothing noises washing away any stress you had. You stayed like that, just for a minute or so, everything cozy and nice. You and Night stand up soon after though, knowing you had to move eventually. You turn off Dust's lamp and kiss him again.

"Night night Sweetheart." You and Night then left to put the mugs and such in the kitchen and the book back in the library. Night checked the time and said you both had a few left hours to sleep luckily. You sigh in exhaustion and crawl back into your bed, it feeling like heaven. You feel the bed dip a little, indicating Night got in. You reach out for him and use him as a pillow, him laughing a little.

"I didn't have to tell you this time huh?"

"Mmm..." You hum tiredly. Night grabs you and the quilt, pretty much fully covering you, but you were too tired to complain. He stroked your hair until you fell asleep, dreaming of knights and princesses and dragons.

Notes:

I'd just like to thank my Beta reader again and maybe plug her fic a little bit. Her user is XenotheOracle and she posted her first chapter of a fic today! Honestly it's better than anything I could ever write and is afterdeath domestic fluff. I'm so proud of her and it'd mean a lot to me and her if you went to check it out! Thanks!