Chp 41

Notes:

So yeah, updates will slow down over the next week, so I'm pumping them out whenever I can lol. Don't forget to comment and kudos! Read my other fics! Etc. Enjoy <3

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Nightmare had a meeting with Life today. He didn't really know why, he just assumed it was her being maternal and checking in on him or something. Either way you were looking after the boys for an hour or so in your au, so all that was left for him to do was actually go. He was hesitant because she hardly ever asked for him, he usually just showed up if he needed her, so this was... strange. But, he worked up the courage and went to that plant filled room, sitting on the stool she got just for him since backless chairs were more comfortable.

"Nightmare! How are you today?" She smiled, arranging some flowers before coming over to sit opposite him.

"You're very cheery aren't you?" He laughed, folding his arms loosely. "Better. It's a good day. Y/n smiled at me when I dropped the boys off." He grinned.

"Aw. That's nice isn't it?" She smiled, pouring him some tea and putting it on the table.

"Y'know, coming here is feeling more and more like therapy." He said casually, sipping some tea.

"Do you want it to be?" She queried, her ears flopping over a little as she tilted her head.

"Maybe. Y/n keeps saying I need it. To change properly. Whatever the hell that means. She seemed to like me before." His smile dropped a little. What changed to make him need to change? He got he messed up, but he didn't know how much or why sorry wasn't good enough.

"Language Nightmare. You need to work on that." She rolled her eyes, drinking some tea herself. "So. Why are you still bothering with Y/n anyway? Shes just a human, not even a particularly negative one at that." She folded her arms too, sitting back a little in her chair. His tentacles flicked a little, he had to consciously stop them. He really had to get them under control, they gave away too much emotion.

"Shes pretty. And the boys' mom. And I love her. I mean, have you heard her voice? Or seen how she smiles? I don't even want her to be negative if it means she looked like that all the time." And now they were wagging. He stopped them, putting them down and huffing as Life giggled. "How did I mess up so bad? I don't even know how exactly I messed up really because she refuses to talk to me about any of it at all in case I ask her to be my girlfriend again."

"Have you asked her to be your girlfriend recently?" She sighed, drinking some more tea.

"Yeah. She shouted at me..." He broke eye contact, a little embarrassed. Was all of this his fault?

"I have an idea of what's wrong. It's a lot of things. I'd suggest fixing them before asking her again." She said casually. He looked up again, confused but hopeful.

"Are you going to help me get her back?"

"I can help her come back to you willingly. You need to think about this differently. That's the first problem. You're thinking of her like a prize to be won. Shes not. Shes a person that you're in love with, it doesn't work just to treat her that way either. You have to think of her like that, or as soon as you stop properly interacting with her you'll just assume you've already 'won' her and not try anymore." She sighed, taking another sip.

"What? How am I supposed to change what I subconsciously think?" He said, confused.

"I never said this would be easy. I said I'd help. We have one hour do we not? Best make it count."