Chp 42

Notes:

AAAA we back in business! My holiday was very yummy yesyes! So, for being patient you get a 7000+ word chp! I have edited it a little, it was gonna be longer, but oh well. Thank you my lovelies! Just wanted to mention I post this on Ao3 too, nothing different, just if you have fic buddies who use Ao3 you could recommend maybe??? Or not. Idrc it's your choice. At that, enjoy <3

Ps: Not necessarily for this chp, but for the past collection of chps, Sushi Soucy's Missing Hell is such a good song. It represents Reader's feelings (Or how I imagine them) So well! It just dropped! Free promo lolol.

You were taking your shift at the bookstore, reading. You had an hour or so to get ready after work before Nightmare picked you up. He said wear an autumn outfit, sweater or a hoodie etc, because where you were going had a different time zone so it'd be around midnight-ish. Currently you had five minutes left on the clock and had nearly finished this week's book. You cuddled a teddy bear from a carnival last summer that you and Ruby went to, reading the climax of a thriller does that to a person. Late afternoon sunlight poured in through the windows, dancing on the counter with the shadows of leaves running through it like veins. Your phone alarm goes off, spooking you a little, you turning it off and packing away all your stuff, doing the dishes, stuff that you had to do before closing. Eventually you closed up shop, locking the door and walking home.

Eventually you get there, a little behind schedule but whatever. You run upstairs, throwing on a sweater and some boots instead of the trainers. You put a book in your bag, putting the notebook in there too along with a pen and your phone. You doubt you'll need money if you're with Nightmare, he wouldn't let you buy anything if you wanted to. He explicitly told you this wasn't a date, so you weren't exactly scared, just confused. Why was he doing this? Was it just to show he'd changed? Because you seriously doubted he had. The Life thing was weekly, so you were pretty sure after one week nothing had happened. Or maybe demi-god guardian things were different than human men. Hell if you knew. You grab a snack, eating it quickly. Pretty much as soon as you finish it, someone knocks and you open the door to Nightmare.

"Hey. So I'm nervous about this. I'll be honest. I've not been to this place for a while, the last time I did go was for a very short period of time, and I'm generally scared. But this should be nice. I'm just nervous because I'm me." He said, tentacles flicking around behind him, slightly sharpened.

"Hello to you too." Then you noticed he was doing that hot thing called not wearing a hoodie and having his sweater rolled up to his elbows. Damn it. This wasn't fair. "Where are we going exactly?"

"Exactly? A random field in Dreamtale." He sighs, rubbing his arm slightly. You noticed he did that when he was awkward or nervous. Why did Life tell him to bring you there of all places?! "We... We might get a little closer to the middle if I think I can and you want to. But that'll take a little while."

"We don't have to go if you don't want to... It depends if you're ready."

"If it makes me a better person to you then I'll do it. Unless you want to back out now? That's fine too." You shake your head. "I-I get why I have to. She kind of explained. But apparently she wasn't allowed to tell me more. That's why I hate Gods and Goddesses. They only tell you so much." He huffs, laughing slightly out of nerves. You grab the hand that's rubbing his arm and he stops, tentacles perking up a little.

"Hey. Calm down." You say softly, making eye contact. "I told you. It's your choice. If you're getting too stressed, we won't go. I'll admit, I'm curious though." You rub gentle circles on top of his hand, tentacles wagging a little before he puts them down.

"No. We can go. It's fine." He takes a deep breath and opens a portal, death gripping your hand as you both step through into an untouched field under a night sky. Stars, it was pretty here. You could see an untouched barn in the distance, quite literally falling down, but other than that it's just endless fields. "Nightmare, you can open your eye. Theres nothing here. 'Cept a run-down barn looking thing."