The Barista

[Seungcheol's POV]

"Channie! I'm heading out!" I yell out as I approach the front door.

I grab my car keys from the shelves that are hung up on the wall beside the door, placing them in my pants pocket.

"Wait!"

I turn around to see Chan running down stairs, still wearing his favorite dinosaur pajamas.

I put my briefcase down on the ground, preparing myself to be suffocated by Chan as he gives me a hug.

And as I anticipated, he does exactly as I thought.

"I'll make sure to not come home too late." I pat his head as I say so.

He pulls away and I grab my things, about to head out-

"Don't forget to bring Kkuma back home today. Mom isn't feeling too well and told me that she needs time to rest."

I nod slightly, "I guess I could do that before heading to work."

Chan's mother doesn't live too far from them, so why not just get it over with?

"Great! I'll be waiting, don't take too long. I know mom likes to ask a lot of questions."

And with that said, I give Chan one more hug before leaving.

- Time skip -

[Third person POV]

Seungcheol arrives at Chan's mother's house. It only took 20 minutes- it usually takes slightly less time, but there was a car accident on the way here.

He rings the doorbell and to his surprise, someone else opens the door.

"Can I help you?"

Seungcheol examines the man's features. He looks like he's in his late 40's. He has dark black hair, with dark brown eyes and seems to have just shaved, judging by the shaving cream he has on his face.

"Um is Miss Lee here?"

The man looks at him, then looks back inside the house.

"Hun, someone's here to see you"

Hun? As in honey? As in-

"Seungcheol, you're here earlier than I expected." Miss Lee says, coughing slightly.

"Yeah, I apologize, I should've informed you I was coming over now." He says as he looks over at the man standing beside Chan's mother.

"I'll get Kkuma for you-" She says with a rasp in her voice.

She goes back inside and once again, him and the man are left alone.

"So it's your dog?"

"Yeah. I left her here for a while, because I wasn't gonna be able to take care of her for a couple weeks cus of work and things."

The man nods, "why not leave her at a friend's house?"

Seungcheol was sure that the man didn't want to sound rude, but his tone felt off.

"Well the dog also happens to belong to Miss Lee's son. He lives with me and he told me that she wouldn't mind taking care of her."

Before the man could respond, Kkuma comes speeding outside.

Seungcheol bends down to pet her.

"How's my princess doing? I missed you so much~"

"Here you go, Seungcheol. It was lovely having her over." Miss Lee gives Seungcheol his care bag for Kkuma.

"Thank you for taking care of her for me. I owe you one."

He smiles, shifting his attention back to Kkuma.

"Don't mention it. It's the least I can do for you. This doesn't compare to the years you've had Chan in your care." She says with a slight sadness in her voice.

Seungcheol knows that Chan's mother had no choice at the time. He doesn't feel any sort of disdain toward her for it. He's grateful to have Chan in his life and to have raised him, well- sort of.

After a little while, they say their goodbyes and Seungcheol heads back home.

[Seungcheol's POV]

The whole ride home Kkuma wouldn't stop barking and bothering me.

"Are you excited to see Channie?"

I smile as she jumps slightly, barking.

I unlock the door, "Chan, guess who's here!"

"Kkuma!"

I lock the door behind me, standing in my place for a moment as I watch Chan and Kkuma's little reunion.

"Yo, Chan, have you seen my phone?"

I look away from the reunion only to be greeted by a familiar figure.

Is that the barista from yesterday?? He's Chan's friend??

The barista, who's name I forgot, seems to have also recognized me.

"Ay, you're the guy from yesterday. Seungkwan came later during the day by the way."

Chan looks at the both of us confused.

Still sitting on the ground, petting Kkuma, he asks, "wait you two have met?"