The Other Side

[Third person POV]

Feeling defeated after trying to talk to Seungkwan in person, Vernon goes to his best friend's house, seeking comfort.

Vernon sat in Chan's room, his mind heavy with the weight of his recent breakup.

The two friends have been talking for the past couple of hours, occasionally, their conversation was interrupted by the playful presence of Kkuma.

"I messed up, Chan," said Vernon, his voice tinged with self-deprecation. "I couldn't take it anymore and I ended things with him without even facing him. I feel like such a failure. What the fuck is wrong with me?"

Chan listened intently as Vernon poured out his emotions, his heart aching for his friend.

Although Chan had little personal experience with breakups, having only gone through a short-lived middle school relationship that lasted a month, he still did his best to comprehend the depth of Vernon's pain.

He couldn't understand why Vernon would choose to end things with Seungkwan, considering how clearly devastated and attached he still appeared to be.

Feeling a surge of empathy, Chan brought Vernon in a warm hug, offering both physical and emotional support.

"If you still love and care about him so much, why did you decide to end the relationship?"

Just then, the door to Chan's bedroom swung open, revealing Seungcheol.

Concerned, Seungcheol spoke up, "You two have been in here for a while. Is everything okay? Do you need anything?"

Though Seungcheol wasn't particularly close to Vernon, he couldn't help but feel a sense of paternal worry. If it mattered to Chan, it mattered to him, and he would do his best to ensure that he is doing well.

Following Seungcheol into the room, Kkuma trotted in, her tail wagging with uncontained enthusiasm.

Seungcheol picked her up into his arms, cradling her gently. The two friends glanced at Seungcheol, sadness evident on their faces.

Chan, his head down, said, "Vernon and Seungkwan broke up."

Seungcheol could see how sad the two friends seemed and frowned slightly.

He approached the bed and placed Kkuma in Vernon's lap.

Kkuma let out a playful bark and proceeded to shower Vernon's face with affectionate licks, eliciting a faint smile from him. Vernon ran his fingers through Kkuma's fur, finding comfort in the simple gesture.

Seungcheol took a seat next to Vernon. He reached out and placed a reassuring hand on Vernon's shoulder.

"Hey, Vernon, I'm really sorry to hear that. Breakups can be tough, and it's okay to feel overwhelmed. But remember, you're not alone in this. We're here for you," Seungcheol said, his voice filled with genuine concern.

Vernon nodded. "Thank you, really. I appreciate it. I just... I need some time to process everything, I guess."

Chan chimed in. "Of course, Vernon. Take all the time you need. But remember, we're here to listen whenever you're ready to talk about it."

Seungcheol looked at Chan, nodding, then back at Vernon. "You know what? I think we should go out and do something fun together. It might help take your mind off things, even if just for a little while. How about we go out for some ice cream? My treat."

Vernon's lips curled up into a small smile. The idea of indulging in sweet treats sounded appealing, like a temporary escape from his current heartache.

Chan's eyes lit up with enthusiasm. "That sounds like a great idea, dad! Ice cream always has a way of cheering me up! I'm sure it'll cheer you up too," he said looking at Vernon.

Seungcheol smiled. "Alright then, it's settled. Let's get ready and head out for some ice cream. And hey, Vernon, if you ever want to talk about it or need someone to lean on, don't hesitate to reach out, okay?" He Pat Vernon's shoulder, as he got up.

Vernon looked up at Seungcheol with a slight smile. "Thanks, bro."

Chan lightly hit Vernon on his arm.

Vernon cleared his throat. "I mean-"

His hands in his pockets, Seungcheol smiled. "It's fine, you can call me bro. I'm not that old."

The trio then left, taking Kkuma with then for a walk to eat ice cream at the park.

However, Vernon still felt awful for what he did.

Ever since he broke up with Seungkwan, in text, he regretted it. Not only because it wasn't face to face, but also because he truly does love him. His conscious told him to do it. He couldn't keep what he did from Seungkwan any longer. He didn't want Seungkwan to hate him for it. So what was the only solution he saw?

Breaking up. That way he could avoid him at all costs.

He deserves better anyways....