thirty seven

harlee's pov:
sunday

me: what time should I come over?

klai: 2:00?

me: ok sounds good

kennedy: be there or be square

me: fuck up

klai: I 100% agree ken

kennedy: IKR

me: my biggest bullies I swear
me: but I have a lot of questions ken

kennedy: I'll answer all of them

klai: yes we need the full truth and nothing but the truth

kennedy: I know
kennedy: and I've got it all I promise

me: okay
me: I'll be there soon

klai: okay

I locked my phone, sliding it into my back pocket as I walked towards my bedroom door, opening it before walking out. I shut the door behind me, then jogging down the stairs.

"harlee." my moms voice was direct, coming from the kitchen. "come here for just a second."

without saying anything, I walked towards the kitchen with a soft smile on my face while my mom was at the stove.

her eyes were on me; her hands holding onto the counter as she leaned back against the counter.

"what's up?" my eyebrows were narrowed out of confusion, not understanding why she was standing so awkwardly.

"just remind me on where you're going again." her voice was light, sounding obviously tired after texting me all night long about prom.

"klai's house, kennedy the girl from the twins house is going to be there too." I shrugged my shoulders, telling her softly in hopes that she wouldn't worry so much and get some rest.

my moms face raised sharply. "okay be careful and be back no later than nine. it's a school night." she spoke slowly thinking it would help me understand.

a sarcastic scoff left my mouth. "you know I will be I promise."

"okay, I love you." my moms voice echoed from inside the kitchen as I walked towards the door.

my hand grabbed onto the door, opening it as I stepped out. "love you too mom." I told her before closing the door shut.

———

I put my car into park as I turned off the ignition. my hand opened my car door as my body quickly got out of the car, then shutting the door.

an energy was running through my body as uncertainty began to enter, not being able to wait to see how this scene would play out.

I sped walked to the front door, knocking on it a couple of times once I was on the front porch.

after a few long seconds, the door unlocked before revealing dj standing in the front door way.

I was taken back a bit, taking immediate notice in how tired he looked. the bags under his eyes were dark and drooped, and his stance was hunched.