fifty three

harlee's pov:
after school

"what are you planning on majoring in?" ethan asked, reaching for a tortilla chip from the basket that was placed in between us on the table.

I shrugged my shoulders as I swallowed the sip of water I had taken. "I really want to do interior design, but I'm not quite sure yet." my eyes stayed looking downwards.

both of his eyebrows narrowed at me. "I didn't know you liked that kind of thing. until you told us about your internship." his joked at me.

an awkward laugh left my mouth, "yeah, no one really did." my lips pursed together as I bit the inside of my cheek. "only a few people." my tone lowered as the thought of javon threaded into my mind.

"you trying to stay in state?" he asked, his hand reaching for his cup as he brought the rim up to his lips.

my hand reached for a chip, tossing it into my mouth. "I'm really not sure, depends on how this summer internship goes." I answered him, both eyebrows furrowed since I haven't thought about it much.

he took a second to swallow the water in his mouth. "I get it. I get it." he informed

I let out a small groan, feeling a weight of stress pour onto my shoulders. "yeah, but on the bright side we're almost seventy-five percent done with high school." I put both of my elbows onto the table, my hands covered my face.

a small laugh escaped his lips at my actions. "I know, time has been flying recently." he shook his head a bit, his fingers dipping another chip into salsa.

I moved my hands away from my face, now crossing them over each other on the table. "I can't believe in we'll be out of here soon." my eyes watched him pick at the food.

he paused for a second, his tongue licking the inside of his cheek as he thought to himself.

"all these years I've been at this school and I've only known you for four months." his voice sounded like he was disappointed in himself.

"I know it's crazy really." I smiled at him, fiddling with my thumbs.

his eyes squinted as his eyebrows furrowed. "you're such a loser." a small chuckle left his mouth to show he was just messing around.

I shook my head as a wide smile crossed my lips, a small laugh coming from my mouth. "fuck you."

his eyes grew soft as he admired me, "you seem like you're doing better." his voice sounded like he was proud of me in a way.

I inhaled a deep breath from the sudden curve in conversation. "uh not really, no." I admit to him, not bothering to try to hide that it doesn't still hurt.

his lips curved inwards as he rubbed them together. "I really wish he'd realize what he's missing out on. you cared about him so much." he leaned back against the back of the booth.

"you don't have to uptalk me just to make me feel better." I shook my head lightly as my eyes stayed looking down at my hands on the table.

he leaned forward, crossing his arms onto the table as he looked at me. "you're my friend, harlee. and you have such a big heart, but you also have a side to you that is powerful and dominant. you have what most girls he's been with don't."