fifty four

harlee's pov:
monday morning

I closed my car door, swinging my backpack over my shoulders as I met klai and kennedy in the front of my car.

my fingers clicked the lock button on my keys, causing my car to click.

"since when did they become friends again?" klai's eyes were squinted from the sun aiming on us, her head looking at a car diagonal in the parking lot from us.

I looked to the car that she was looking at, seeing both javon, jaden, and ethan sitting in the front seats of javon's car.

all of them were staring straight forward out of the front windshield. they were talking, but they looked quiet.

"I didn't know they were." I told her honestly, my eyebrows naturally narrowing.

"what do you think they're talking about?" klai asked, her eyebrows furrowed as her lips were pursed together, biting her cheek.

I shrugged my shoulders lightly as I shook my head. "I don't know." I was still slightly confused, considering ethan and I were just at dinner last week and didn't even try and talk to javon.

"has jaden tried talking to you yet kennedy?" my tone was low as I looked over to kennedy who was absent from the conversation.

"yes but I can't see myself forgiving him after all this shit." she mumbled, pressing her lips together. "for the time being I couldn't see myself being with him after what javon did to you harlee."

"I just can't believe they're still dragging this." klai commented as a statement, causing me to turn away from the car and look at her.

"like when is enough, enough?" I questioned, a small scoff that was mixed with a laugh escaped my mouth.

klai turned to look at me, now both of us holding an eye contact. "is it just me or has ethan been acting weird lately too?" her expressions were normal, as if it were obvious.

both of my eyebrows narrowed in a confused manner. "ethan?" I questioned.

"you haven't noticed?" she asked, a little bit surprised that I didn't realize. "he's just been different ever since javon decided to stop caring about everyone." her head turned back to look at them.

my lips parted from each other slightly as I could feel my entire face build a puzzled look. I looked back to ethan in the car, a certain sadness laced in his expressions.

"maybe he's just fed up with his friend's terrible attitude." I rolled my eyes at the thought of javon, and how terrible to everyone he's been acting lately.

it really is sad to see the dynamic of everyone change in such a short period of time, and I really wish it wasn't this way.

but we can't win them all, according to my unknown sender.

———
ethans pov:

I felt a bit stuck on my words, not knowing what to say. he's changed, he's different. I never know if he's going to snap at me, not that I can't handle it.

it's just different now. everything.

and I hate it.