fourty nine

harlee's pov:
monday morning

I slipped my phone into the back of my pocket, exhaling a stress-filled breath as I grabbed onto the metal door handle—opening the door into school.

my hands crawled into the pockets of my jacket as I walked down the main hallway, my mood being low.

I haven't talked to javon since the other night, and even then I tried texting him multiple times. but I guess he's just still upset with me.

a small group of friends turned their heads to look at me, all of them with small grins on their faces. they turned back around, looking away from me as they started to laugh to each other thinking I couldn't hear them.

my eyebrows furrowed as confusion arose inside of me. a small pit started to hit inside of my stomach, getting the feeling that something isn't right.

as I kept walking down the hallway, the same thing was happening repetitively. with multiple different groups of friends.

left and right everyone I passed was talking about me to each other as if I couldn't see them—all in whispers.

I could feel my heart begin to race, my cheeks flushing a light toned pink.

continuing to walk down the hallway, I approached my locker. and I could feel almost everyone in the hallway staring at me.

laughs escaped their mouths sounding louder than usual due to the fact that they were all aimed at me.

my chest began to breath heavily from everyone's attention being on me.

"harlee," an unfamiliar, soft feminine voice came from behind me, followed by a tap on my shoulder.

I quickly turned around, being faced with cady, the girl from my class last year who was my waiter that day I went to the restaurant with javon.

I haven't talked to her since that day..

"hey." I spoke in a whispered tone.

"are you okay?" she spoke with a tone of sympathy, like she knew something was wrong. her eyes looking at me with worry.

"what's going on?" I asked, even though I was pretty sure I already knew the answer. I just wanted to hear someone actually say it. "I'm so confused."

both of her eyebrows narrowed, looking at me in a confused manner. "you don't know?" she asked, her voice getting quiet.

I do, but I don't want it to be true. "I'm confused." I repeated to her, trying to keep my eyes focused on her and not the laughter from the other students.

"harlee," she spoke as she let out a sigh, obviously feeling horrible. "maybe you should talk to javon." she suggested as she slowly started backing away from me.

"wait," my hand reached out for her wrist—holding onto her, not wanting her to leave me alone like this without explanation.

her eyes looked down to my hand holding onto her before looking back up to me. "seriously you should talk to javon," she gently pulled her arm out of my grip. "it isn't my place to tell you."