3

⊱ ────── {⋅. ✯ .⋅} ────── ⊰

Mikey POV

I step in front of her and look at her closely. She's shorter than me, but not by much, maybe only half a head. Her brown eyes light up with excitement as she looks at the chip bag and holds it to her as if it were something sacred. I watch her with amusement and shake my head. She is the exact opposite of Ken-chin, who is a giant.
"What's your name again?", I ask, kneeling down to her things to put them back in the bag, since these guys have spread the contents of the bag all over the floor.
"Meiyo," she gives curtly and kneels down to help me.
"Thank you for helping me. I don't know how far she would have gone if no one had stopped her," she continues and I look over at her. I look over at her and see that her face is now lined with sadness, as opposed to the happy expression she had before.
"Just don't think about it anymore. It didn't come to that, after all," I say, standing up as I hold out the bag of her groceries to her
"Come on, Mei-chin, I'll walk you home. If I don't, Ken-chin will behead me personally," I add, smiling slightly at her before leaving the alley we're still in.

When she's finally standing next to me, I take another quick look at her. Through the moonlight falling on her face, I can see that her cheeks have taken on a delicate blush.
Shrugging my shoulders, I simply walk ahead, not waiting for an answer as to whether she agrees or not. The footsteps I heard behind me confirmed that she was following me. We have to walk for a while, and I have to admit that this oppressive silence really annoys me.
"Next time, don't come here so late by yourself. Just take Ken-chin with you next time, or any friends to accompany you," I try to start a topic so this silence will finally go away.
"No, I don't want to bug Kenny about something as trivial as shopping," she sighs, and I turn to look at her.
"And I don't have any friends to ask. Don't need either," she shrugs, as if it goes without saying. Somehow, it all sounds rather sad.
"I don't think Ken-chin would be annoyed by that. You're his sister, aren't you?", I say, turning back to the front to keep walking.
"I don't think Ken-chin would be annoyed by that. You're his sister, aren't you?", I say and turn back to the front to keep walking.
"And just because we're siblings, that means I'm important to him and not annoying?" she almost whispers, but I understand every word. I decide not to say anything more about it and keep walking.

Meiyo POV

Did he really just call me Mei-chin? I feel my face getting hot and I get nervous about it. To distract myself, I quickly shake my head and follow him silently. Yet somehow the words preoccupy me. I pause for a moment to think and look at the boy walking in front of me. I look at his back and try to remember his name. What was his name again? I remember hearing his name before, but I've forgotten it. Would it be too weird to ask him his name now? Maybe I should just address him as "you" all the time. I'm sure that wouldn't be noticeable!
We walk through the streets lit only by streetlights. The smell of fried food from the small restaurants nearby is in the air. We pass a group of men laughing loudly and telling jokes, and from the way they smell and howl, they are heavily intoxicated.
"Everything okay?" he asks me.
"Yeah, everything's fine," I reply, nodding. We turn into a narrow alley surrounded by tall buildings and dark shadows. You can hear the sound of the river in the distance and feel the cool wind blowing through the streets.
"We're almost there," he says, continuing to walk ahead.

I sigh in disappointment and stare at the ground as I walk behind him. Kenny and I may be siblings, but what do I know about him? I have no idea what he does all day, what he likes, what his favorite color is, or what kind of music he likes to listen to. I don't even know if he actually likes to eat those chips; I've only seen the wrapper lying around our house a few times and just jumped to a conclusion. I don't know if he has a girlfriend or maybe even a boyfriend? Is he in love with someone? What are his hobbies? The more I think about it, the sadder I get. Although I keep trying to get in touch with him, it seems impossible for me to get closer to him.

Suddenly, I run into someone and threaten to fall backwards if he doesn't reflexively grab my arm and pull me toward him.
"So lost in thought?" he asks me with a smile on his face. I hold my breath for a moment and blush, but then immediately stand up straight and look away.
"Do you mind?", I ask him flippantly, only now realizing that we have already arrived home. We are standing in front of my door.

Draken POV

I sit restlessly on the couch and nervously bob my legs. My index finger twitches, going up and down again and again. Where is she! My sister went shopping two hours ago and still hasn't returned. Could she have gone to the next town? The uncertainty makes me feel anxious and I start to worry.
Tick tock, tick tock. This clock is driving me crazy. The monotonous sound seems to get louder and every second feels like an eternity. Enough, I'm going to go find it now. I get up from the couch with a jerk and walk to the door to put on my shoes. It's just after midnight and at this time of night no woman should be wandering around in this district, because the most curious types are running around here. I take my key, put it in my pocket and leave the building.

Just as I pull the door shut behind me and walk around the corner, I see her - with Mikey.
I look at them in amazement. "What the hell are you guys doing? And where have you been, so long, Mei!", I walk up to them and see that my sister looks a bit upset. She looked a bit disheveled, which immediately makes me shoot a dirty look at Mikey.
"Hey hey, I didn't do anything. I just helped her and walked her home," he innocently raises his hands and looks at me accordingly.
"What do you mean 'helped'?", I want to know. She looks at me and says, "Don't worry, it's all right. I just had a little adventure."
"What do you mean by 'adventure'?", I ask her curiously.
"I was mugged by three weird guys, but luckily he was nearby and saved me and walked me home afterwards," she replies. Horrified, I look at her and immediately grabbed her by her shoulders and almost lift her up like that.
"Are you all right? Did they touch you somewhere they shouldn't have? I'm going to kill them, did you recognize their faces?", I let go of her again and clenched my hands into fists.
"Don't worry, I took care of those guys. They won't be bothering anyone again anytime soon," Mikey now interferes again. Breathing out a little calmer, I look at him. I'm relieved that my sister is unharmed, but still angry at these guys who attacked her.
"Thank you," I say curtly and look back to my sister.
"Thanks again for your help," she walks over to Mikey and bows to him.
"I can't do much but say thank you. Sorry," she said still bowed and Mikey just grinned. This bastard is really enjoying himself and I have to grin myself.
"Don't stress yourself out Mei-chin. Buy me a dorayaki sometime and we'll call it even," this gluttonous idiot says. I roll my eyes and my sister laughs in response and says, "Sure, let's do that," smiling faintly.

⊱ ────── {⋅. ✯ .⋅} ────── ⊰