22

⊱ ────── {⋅. ✯ .⋅} ────── ⊰

Meiyo POV

I sit here and listen to the guys for a while while they talk animatedly. But somehow I feel out of place, like I don't belong. Although I know everyone and they know each other, I can't really get involved.
Suddenly, my brother interrupts the conversation and turns to me and says, "Oh yes, Meiyo, I'm afraid I can't accompany you to this sports camp. I'll be stuck here for at least another week, and with my injury, it would probably be better not to move around so much."
"Don't worry about that, it's much more important that you get better and as soon as possible!", I say and smile at him. But inside I am disappointed and sad.
Then Keikei interferes and asks curiously: "Sports camp? Like that thing that happens on Monday for two weeks? Your school is participating in it?" and looks at us curiously.
"Um... yeah... I asked Kenny because it would be such a family thing, but now that's falling through and instead I'm staying home and taking care of my brother so he just doesn't do anything stupid!", I scold. I give him a nasty look too, because I can tell by the look on his face that he was surely up to something along those lines.
"Ahhh. Chifuyu wanted me to pretend to be his brother to participate. Maybe I should do it after all if you're going to be there," he thinks aloud and I just stand up.
"I'm going to get something to drink and go to the bathroom, see you in a bit," I quickly say goodbye and walk out of the room.

As I walk out of the room, I can barely hold back the tears. I'm so disappointed that I can't go to the sports camp. It would have been the highlight of my summer, spending time with my brother, and now it's all gone. The suitcase at home that I had packed, I guess I can clean out again.
I quickly disappear from the door and lean against the next corner, letting my tears run free. It doesn't take long before my best friend is standing in front of me, since he must have run after me, and tries to comfort me.

Mikey POV

I'm annoyed for some reason and desperately need fresh air. I spend a while on the roof, breathing deeply in and out while looking out at the city. At some point, I decide to head back down. I go to say goodbye and then go home, I have lost the desire to do anything.
As I walk down the stairs, I hear the voices of Baji and Mei-chin. I stop and listen, Mei-chin sounds like she is crying.
"I wanted so much to go to this camp. It just makes me so incredibly sad that I can't go, " she says, sobbing. Baji is by her side, obviously trying to comfort her.
"Should I cancel Chifuyu and pretend to be your brother so we can go together?" he asks. I lean over the banister to get a view of the two of them. Baji holds her in his arms and gently strokes her back as she cries.
"No," Mei-chin says through sobs.
"While I'm sad that I can't go, I'm also happy that Kenny survived. I'll just take care of him when he comes home and spend time with him."

I'm surprised that Baji can understand her when I'm already having trouble making out clear words, because to me it's a pure mumble.
"Then we can have our own camp during the vacations. When Draken gets out of the hospital, we'll all go to the beach together, okay?" suggests Baji.
"Okay," Mei-chin says quietly. She breaks away from Baji, wipes her eyes briefly, and smiles sadly. As I look at her more closely, I notice her red, puffy eyes from crying, her red nose that she keeps pulling up, and that sad smile.
"I really need to go to school on Monday and tell the teacher I can't go. He'll never believe me that I can't attend because my brother is in the hospital because of a stabbing," she laughs lightly, but any idiot could hear the irony in her voice.

The sight of Baji holding and comforting her makes me want to vomit, and I don't want to look at it anymore. I roll my eyes, push myself off the railing, and just keep walking down the stairs. I don't feel like saying goodbye to the others anymore and just leave the hospital to go home.

⊱ ────── {⋅. ✯ .⋅} ────── ⊰