9

⊱ ────── {⋅. ✯ .⋅} ────── ⊰

Mikey POV

She props up her two arms, left and right, beside me and comes menacingly close. Her finger keeps tapping against my chest while I feel her breath on my face, that's how close she is to me. I automatically lean back to create some distance, but the further back I go, the closer she gets to me again. Her eyes sparkle wickedly, but I can't help but stare at her.

As I stare at her, she lowers her gaze a bit, but she doesn't back away in the process and asks, "Mikey...wouldn't you tell Kenny about what I told you earlier?"
I am surprised by this question and look at her. A tired smile appears on my face as I reply, "That's your business and not mine. I will not interfere by telling Ken-chin. It will only be my business if something happens to my friends, with strangers walk by and I don't care. You were just lucky back then because you're Ken-chin's sister," I shrug my shoulders and put my head back to look at the night sky.
"Oh well...", I just hear a low murmur and look back at her, then silence falls and I look up at the sky again.

For what feels like an eternity, it's just silent, but not in a way that I would find uncomfortable. Then suddenly she begins to speak again: "You know," she says, and I look at her again. At the same moment, she also lifts her head and looks at me. Our faces are so close that our noses almost touch. I look into her eyes for the first time and notice with surprise that she has brown eyes. My gaze wanders down a bit as she is still bracing herself, half above me, leaning forward. Her way-too-big top hangs loosely down, procuring me a clear view below her top, where I naturally peek in.
"Nice," I grin, then look back up at her. Her eyes go wide, and she blushes. Then she winces hard, falls backwards, and almost scrambles back a few steps, covering her chest with her arms,
"Asshole! Pervert!" she berates me, throwing her bathing slippers and bag at me before abruptly getting up and walking away.
"Whatever, I'm going home! ", she says frantically, standing up, grabbing her bag and shoes and walking past me, leaving me sitting here on the floor.
"You have really beautiful eyes," I grin, looking after her.
"And your eyes seem lonely and empty," she stops and looks at me. She walks up to me and I see her kneel down next to me and look me straight in the eyes. Her sad look hits me and I wonder what she has been through to be the way she is. Somehow the mood has suddenly shifted like that, and now it seems completely depressing.
"It just seems that way," I finally say, averting my gaze again to look back up at the sky.
"Liar," she says softly, looking down at the ground. For some reason, what she said makes me think. Are my eyes really empty and lonely? I don't necessarily feel lonely, but maybe I'm missing something that I can't put my finger on. But her words echo in my head and I wonder if I really feel that way and suddenly I'm not sure what I'm actually doing here and what I actually want.

Again it is quiet. The silence is so oppressive that I lose my nerve inside and I can literally feel my impatience growing.
"Come on, I'll take you the rest of the way home too. I don't want Kenny to kill me if something happens to you on the way," I say as I stand up and motion for her to come with me. Suddenly, I feel two arms clasp me from behind, preventing me from getting up. A reflex flashes through my body and I turn to face her, wanting to lunge. But I hold back and lower my arm again. She notices what I was about to do and starts crying, squinting her eyes. And yet she doesn't let go of me, on the contrary, she hugs me tighter, only this time from the front, as I have turned in her arms.
"I don't believe you! I also don't believe that you helped me for the simple reason that I'm your best friend's sister. I don't believe that! You just want to seem cool and untouchable, but you're not cool and untouchable. You're a human being just like me, one with feelings. So kindly stop saying things like that," she almost shouts, and I'm surprised by her sudden outburst. Her words hit me like a blow and I can feel my body stiffen.
"What are you afraid of? Why did you want to hit me when I touched you?" she asks after a moment of silence and motionlessness. This snaps me out of my stupor, and I remove her arms, which are still around me, and stand up.
"I've never heard such bullshit. You watch too many movies. Reality is different. Besides, you don't know me. I'm not afraid of anything either, others are afraid of me. Plus, I'm not as good a person as you might think," I say, putting my hands in the pockets of my sweater and looking down at her.

She just sits there with a downcast look on her face. And for some reason, this sight makes me so angry that I have to clench my fists in my pocket and try to calm myself down. What exactly is making me so upset right now? Is it her? Or what she said? It's driving me so crazy.
"You're right. " she says, standing up.
"I don't know you, and I don't really want to know you. And to be honest, you annoy the hell out of me with your stupid grin and your pushy ways!" she says. Her eyes are still glazed over, and with that she looks at me angrily.
"You're funny! You're annoying! You're pushy! Annoying! You eat too much! You're rude too! You come into strangers' rooms just like that and just feel like you're at home with strangers! You're completely childish and a pervert to boot! And you're just annoying! The only nice thing about you is your looks," she half yells at me, though it's more like speaking loudly than yelling. Obviously she realized what she said, because completely shocked, she covers her mouth and looks at me as shocked as she must be feeling right now.
"That last one was a lie, you're ugly! I just didn't want to be all mean, but you don't really deserve that! You're annoying! ", she says quickly afterwards and turns around to run away with quick steps.

As if by itself, my tension subsides when I look at her like that and I have to laugh. Somehow she was trying to insult me, but I guess it didn't quite work that way, because to me it wasn't an insult, but I'll just let her have that belief.
"Stop laughing at me, I'm fucking serious," she angrily stomps her foot on the floor, which really looks too cute, and grins.
"Idiot, you're annoying," she clutches her bag and walks past me.
"You're my best friend's sister. So it would be better if you get used to me quickly. ", I grin deliberately, but also honestly, and quickly follow her to catch up. When I arrive next to her, I wave my hand through her hair and change my grin to a smile, saying, "I hope we can still be friends."
"Never! I'll never get used to you. You annoy me," she slaps my hand away and walks a few more steps faster.
"How many times have you said I annoy you now?", I ask her provocatively and follow her with a few steps distance.
"I just don't like you," she turns to me and gives me a nasty look and continues walking away from me.

Shaking my head and smiling, I follow her silently. For some reason, it makes me think about what she says to me, a complete stranger. A stranger telling me that I seem lonely? I'm not. I have friends and the gang around me every day. And Kenny, who is always with me.
"Stop following me," she yells again in my direction, walking a little faster. I leave it uncommented, and a short time later we are already in front of her home.

⊱ ────── {⋅. ✯ .⋅} ────── ⊰