21

⊱ ────── {⋅. ✯ .⋅} ────── ⊰

Mikey and Keikei enter the room and I immediately feel the mood lighten. My best friend greets him loudly: "Jo Draken, you finally look fit again! I was beginning to think you were going to kick the bucket," he jokes, high-fiving Kenny as the two laugh about the injuries.
"Like an injury like that is going to kill me," they laugh and I have to grin. I know they're not really laughing about it, just trying to lighten the mood. But as I look to Mikey, I notice he's keeping a bit of a distance. It's unusual for him, since he's usually very pushy.
Then Keikei notices my presence and exclaims, "Oh look, my dearest best friend is here too!" He puts his arm around my neck and waves it through my hair, just like Kenny did before.
"I'm your only best friend too!", I laugh lightly and shake my head.
I have to grin and notice that my brother is surprised when he asks, "Like best friends?" but who's surprised? I had been surprised too when I found out they knew each other.
"Let go of me, you know I don't like that," I grumble, trying with all my might to break free of his grip.
"Little Meiyo and I have known each other for a few years now, like 11 or 12. We met together with Kazutora back then," my best friend explains, ignoring me completely as he continues to tousle my hair.
My brother is still confused and asks, "12 years? You knew her before we met? And we never saw each other together?" I can just hear the black-haired man laughing.
"Gross, right? I knew her brother's name was 'Kenny,' but I never would have guessed that meant you. Well, I've never been to your house either, and really I could have questioned it based on your last name. But I thought it was a coincidence. The name isn't that rare, after all," he grins. I keep trying to break free from Keikei's grip, but the more I struggle, the tighter his grip becomes.
"Let looooose," I pout and just let myself hang, and only now do I seem to be paying attention again.
"Sorry," my best friend says to me, finally letting go of me, and they both start laughing at me. Pouting, I look at my best friend and then sigh away, fixing my hair on the side. Not only did my brother never mention me the whole time, but Keikei did too, though I had demanded that he not do it either. And yet, it's kind of depressing as I continue to think about it.

"Don't pout, little one," I suddenly feel both of my best friend's arms around my stomach and his head on top of mine.
"I'm not pouting, idiot," I mumble and he looks down at me.
"Have you grown? I usually had to bend down a little when I stood with you like this," he asks in surprise, turning me around in his arms. He clasps my shoulders and pushes me back slightly to get a better look at me.
"Definitely grown," he teases me, pointing his eyes at a specific region of my body. At first I don't understand until I follow his gaze and abruptly widen my eyes, pushing him away from me.
"Tell me, are you crazy? Where are you even looking, you can't do that, you're my best friend, idiot!", I scold him and hold my arms in front of my chest. He just laughs, and Kenny of course gets in on the act. Figures he'd find it funny, and Mikey seems annoyed.
"Just because I'm your best friend, I'm allowed to do that," he just says provocatively, and indignantly I turn around.
"Absolutely not!", I say and take a few steps away from him, looking down at the ground in shame. What an idiot.
"God ey," someone groans in annoyance, and when I lift my gaze, I realize it's Mikey, who just turns away from the group and looks out the window. I can sense that something is wrong, but I don't know what it is.

"By the way, your sister totally slapped Mikey in front of the operating room," Baji quickly changes the subject to relax the situation.
"You slapped Mikey again?" sudden laughter breaks out, except Mikey himself and I don't laugh.
"Again? Gee, that girl seems pretty tired of life! But that's just how I know her," the black-haired one laughs.
"Be up on the roof," Mikey suddenly says a curt goodbye and leaves the room as well. The others don't seem particularly concerned. When I see Kenny talking to Keikei and Emma, I'm reassured. He seems like everything is fine, and the fact that he can be so happy makes me happy, too, even though I'm still annoyed by my best friend's inappropriate comments.

⊱ ────── {⋅. ✯ .⋅} ────── ⊰