74

⊱ ────── {⋅. ✯ .⋅} ────── ⊰

I stand haphazardly in my room, blurred by the tears in my eyes, sniffling quietly to myself. My brother is such a fucking idiot!
The pain in my skull is still throbbing like hell, but this time it's not the hangover that's tormenting me - it's almost like it's forgotten.
Frustrated, I look around the room, and my eyes linger on the window, which attracts me in a strange way. With shaky fingers, I open it and lean out a bit to look around; the fact that it's raining like cats and dogs and everything is pelting my face and room is beside the point.
About two meters below me stretches a platform that belongs to the escape staircase. I could jump on it and just disappear, because staying here is definitely no longer an option. And I wouldn't even try to go through the front door; Kenny would never let me.

Determined, I move away from the window, quickly put on sweatpants and a sweater, and rummage under the bed for old shoes. I put my cell phone and wallet in my pocket. Then I sit down on the windowsill, it's raining terribly, but I don't care - I just want to get out of here.
As I sit on the windowsill and look down at the rescue scaffolding, I feel my heart beat faster and a lump grow in my throat. The platform suddenly seems much higher than it did when I first saw it.
I take a deep breath, close my eyes and press my lips together. With one last, courageous impulse, I jump down. After less than two seconds, I have solid ground under my feet again. It borders on a miracle that I didn't fall on my face, but landed on my feet.
Incredulous, I stare back at the window I just jumped out of. Some pride and relief flow through me, and I now run down the metal scaffolding stairs.

Arrived down I am already completely soaked, so strongly it rains. I look around briefly and have no idea where I should actually go. So I just run in one direction, the main thing as fast and as far away as possible.

Mikey POV

"Emma, why me of all people?", I grumble angrily, frowning slightly. "Couldn't you have asked Ken-chin?", I add, as the rain pelts down on us incessantly. A sigh accompanies my words as I look skeptically at Emma. "And why today of all days? It's pouring down."
"Now stop complaining!" she grumbles back. "I just felt like going shopping and needed someone to carry my purchases. Draken can't, he's busy. So be a good brother and do me the favor."
She adds with a grin, "Besides, I have to hold the umbrella."
With a roll of my eyes, I finally give in and reluctantly follow her. For hours they drag me from one store to the next, and it has already become pitch dark.

Right now we're standing at a traffic light waiting for it to turn green. Emma is on her cell phone, frantically typing away on the screen.
"We should go to Draken," she finally begins to speak after what feels like an eternity, looking at me seriously. "He had a terrible fight with Meiyo, and it looks like she escaped out the window. At least it was wide open when he went to check on her, and she wasn't there," she continues.
Suddenly she commands, "Come on, we're close by, aren't we?" Without waiting for my response, she just runs off.
"Emma," I say, and she turns to me. With a sigh, I push the overstuffed shopping bags into her hand and explain, "You can go check on him. I have absolutely no desire to sit by and watch you comfort him. I know exactly how this ends, and I'll spare myself that sight."
She is about to protest, but I already disappear. I literally leave her standing in the rain, after all I left her the umbrella. I guess you could say I'm a good brother.

I stand under somewhere, after I'm far enough away from Emma, and get out my cell phone to call Mei. As expected, she doesn't answer it, I don't even know if she has it with her. I look at my phone and check the time, by now it's 8:18pm. Emma has actually chased me from one store to another for over five hours.
Sighing, I shake my head and try calling Mei again. I've almost given up hope that she'll answer the phone, but after the sixth ring, I hear a soft, exhausted, "Yes?" on the other end of the line.
Relief spreads through me when I hear her voice."Where are you?I'm coming to you," I ask her calmly.There is silence on the other end of the line, and after a few moments she says in an uncertain voice, "I don't know, nothing here looks familiar. I just took random paths and walked."Her voice sounds so broken that it almost breaks my heart."Mei, send me your location and wait for me there. I'll come to you right away," I say, already starting to walk in one direction, not knowing if it's the right one. The streets are busy despite the rain as people are on their way home from work. I have to push my way through the crowds and bump some of them rudely on the shoulders as they are in my way.
"Okay," she replies quietly and just hangs up. Shortly after, I receive a message with her location. I take a look at the place and start walking in the right direction.

After more than half an hour I finally arrive. I almost went crazy while waiting for the bus, because my motorcycle is at home thanks to Emma.
Arriving at a park I've never been to before - honestly, I'm rarely in this area - I look for Mei. According to her location, she should be around here somewhere. Thanks to the rain, no one is out, which hopefully makes the search easier.
After about five minutes, I spot her under a wooden gazebo and head straight for her. She notices me quite quickly and immediately comes to meet me and literally falls into my arms. As she falls into my arms, I enclose her tightly in an embrace. Her body shakes with cold and probably with emotion. She is completely soaked, just as I am by now. Shortly after, I hear a soft sniffle from her.
"I can't do this, Mikey," she finally begins to speak. "I had a terrible fight with Kenny," she continues to mumble. Then she lifts her head and finally looks at me. Her eyes are red and swollen, which just shows how much she must have been crying. "He'll never let us be together. He'll either kill you or me," she sobs.

The rain pelts down on us incessantly as I grab Mei by her trembling hands and lead her back under the pavilion so that we no longer stand in the rain. Once under the pavilion, I let go of her hands again, only to take her into my arms once more immediately after.
"I won't let him interfere with our relationship," I assure her calmly as my fingers run over her back to reassure her. "I respect that you want to tell him yourself, and we'll keep it a secret for now, but anything beyond that, I won't let that happen."
Her tears are still flowing as she sobs, "But he won't let it happen."
"I won't let it happen either, Mei," I say, gently pushing her away from me. Carefully, I lift her face with my hands so she's looking at me. With my thumbs, I gently wipe away her tears and look at her.
"You love me, don't you?", I ask her softly, and she nods tentatively as she sniffles. "You see, and I love you. We won't let your brother separate us," I continue as I wipe away the new tears that are coming.
"Okay?", I ask her for confirmation. Hesitantly, she nods and whispers softly, "Okay." I pull her into my arms again and hold her tightly against me.

After a brief silence, I ask curiously, "How did you run away, anyway?"
Her voice is little more than a murmur as she replies, "I jumped out the window...that was really high." I have to laugh a little and only push her closer to me.

⊱ ────── {⋅. ✯ .⋅} ────── ⊰