55

⊱ ────── {⋅. ✯ .⋅} ────── ⊰

For about two days I try to persuade my class teacher to let me continue attending after all. I talk to him, argue, plead and beg, explain the complicated situation with Kenny and Mikey. I apologise for it countless times, but this man just doesn't give a shit. Instead of having sympathy or understanding, he is even angrier with me and continues to label me as a cheater, in addition to being a liar when I tell him the truth because he thinks I made up the story about my brother being stabbed. When he gives me more punishment, I give up and from then on spend most of my time depressed in bed, on the bench or outside on the chair.
Kei, Hina and also Mikey try their best to lift my spirits. They try to pull me out of my self-pity and drag me to various activities. But I stubbornly refuse, preferring to sink into my temporary depression. Every now and then I drag myself to dinner and a shower, but those are the only two places I visit anymore. Strangely, Mikey doesn't take his eyes off me for a moment, unless he's in the shower himself.
This camp has been a waste of time from the beginning.

As the end of the summer camp approaches, the weather changes. The sky, which was previously clear and sun-drenched, darkens increasingly and is now dominated by heavy clouds. The camp director warns of an impending storm and urges us not to leave our caravans until the storm has passed. One day before our planned departure - just perfect.
At this moment I find myself in the sitting area of our caravan. I let my head sink onto the cool, hard surface of the wooden table while my tired eyes follow the spectacle outside. The rain pelts more and more heavily against the window, leaving a veil of liquid beads on the pane.
Sighing, I turn my head to the other side and look at Mikey. He is lying comfortably in bed, busying himself with his mobile phone, from which I can only make out muffled sounds. Mikey doesn't seem to have any problems with me being in this depressed mood. Or maybe he does and just leaves me alone. Either way, I'm grateful to him for not calling me on my bad mood.

Wordlessly, I watch him as I take in the increasingly violent storm from outside.
"Mikeeeey~," I finally whine. He briefly interrupts his mobile phone playing and looks over at me, giving a slight, "Meiiii.~".
"Do you think it's going to thunderstorm?", I ask him without lifting my head from the table.
He takes a quick glance out the window before turning back to me and replying, "Don't worry, if it does thunder, I'll be here to protect you from the evil thunder." He grins at me and although I roll my eyes, I can't suppress a slight smile.
"You're annoying," I mutter, but can't help but keep looking at him.
"I know," he replies with a smirk and turns his attention back to his phone. That grin annoys me so incredibly, but at the same time I love it so much. I turn my gaze back to the window next to him and hope fervently that it doesn't start thundering, because I need that even less now. Not only was the camp a waste of time and I'm depressed about it - no, my period pains are also making this last time here at the camp unbearable.

Just as the pain starts to make itself felt again, I realise that I already had it at the weekend, after the party. As I continue to think about this fact, I become even more confused. The first time they were only there for a few hours. I wondered anyway why it was only for such a short time, but didn't question it further. But now I've had this pain in my abdomen for two excruciating days and it's definitely worse than the first.
Brooding over this, I screw up my face and am already desperately trying to retrieve my lost memories again as I continue to stare at Mikey who is looking at his phone.

As my gaze fixes on Mikey's face, countless images pop into my head. They are not merely images, but vivid scenes that make me relive every single moment. Memories of me drunkenly hitting on Kira. Images of me playing with Kei in the sea, of me trying to kiss a complete stranger. But also the pictures of Mikey kissing me and snippets of what he said to me that night. Even a picture of me hugging a tree and having a strange conversation with a frog.
Finally, they are abruptly interrupted by a disturbing memory that snaps me out of my trance like a lightning strike. I sit up with a jerk, my heart beating fast and my eyes widening in disbelief as I stare at Mikey, who notices my sudden movement and looks at me.
"Are you okay?" he asks, concerned. Instead of answering, I just continue to stare at him in bewilderment as more images play out in my mind's eye. Images of us on the bed, kissing, me being naked and....
"Oh God...", I murmur barely audible.
"Mei? What's wrong?", Mikey asks again, but I can't concentrate to give him an answer. Out of the corner of my eye, I just see him coming towards me. Instead of answering, I'm hit by another wave of memories: the blood in the morning, the momentary bleeding, the bruises on my body and the red scratches on his back. The memory of Mikey urgently wanting to talk to me about that stain comes back to me like a slap in the face.

I feel my breathing become erratic as the scenes in my head change faster and faster, bringing me to the brink of unconsciousness. Mikey's worried gaze intensifies as I continue to be unable to answer his questions. My eyes wander wildly around the room. The walls seem to be closing in on me and my heart is beating at a painful rate.
I look at Mikey, his worried look, his face full of question marks. My memories become clearer with each passing moment. Finally, I remember the night with Mikey when we made love. Thoughts of our skin touching, the heat radiating from our bodies shoot through my head, making me gasp again.
The thoughts of waking up in the morning and discovering the marks on my body. The blood that flowed for only a few hours and then inexplicably stopped again creates an oppressive feeling in my chest. The stain Mikey wanted so badly to talk about, the red marks on his back that looked like scratches. The truth comes in waves and each one seems heavier than the last.
"Oh God...", I mutter again, this time with a hint of panic in my voice. My eyes, staring fixedly into the distance, search desperately for an anchor point in space, anything that might give me support. But the memories won't let me go and I feel my body stiffen in shock, my breath catching and an uncontrollable tremor taking hold of me.

"Mei!" he says, his voice a little louder than before, and places his hand reassuringly on my shoulder. But the sudden touch makes me flinch and I stand up with a jerk.
"I have to get out of here," I press out and run out into the storm that drenches my body within seconds. I run out into the unknown, driven by a fear that I don't quite understand myself.

⊱ ────── {⋅. ✯ .⋅} ────── ⊰