32

⊱ ────── {⋅. ✯ .⋅} ────── ⊰

Meiyo POV

Hastily, I grab a pillow and press it firmly against my face, only to scream into it with a strangled squeak shortly after. The soft fibers tickle my nose as I bury myself in it, desperately trying to calm down somehow. I hug the pillow even tighter, squinting my eyes and kicking my legs like a fool.
"What the hell just happened?", I curse muffled into the pillow before finally pulling it away from me as I slowly lose my breath underneath it. My hands are shaking uncontrollably, and my heart is pounding against my chest so hard it's starting to hurt. I try to calm down and take a deep breath, but the feeling of tightness in my chest persists. The thoughts in my head spin incessantly around the question of what exactly happened. Was it a misunderstanding? An ill-considered action? Or yet something that has been in the air for a long time? My heart just won't settle down, and I can still feel every single one of his touches on my skin, his lips on mine. At the thought of it, I bite my lower lip and lick it briefly with my tongue, as if trying to find the taste of that encounter again. I feel a tingling in the pit of my stomach, a mixture of excitement, confusion and fear. Suddenly realizing what I'm doing here, I press the pillow to my face again and turn sideways with it.
"Meiii, stop thinking about it! ", I grumble to myself into the pillow as I desperately try to shake off the memories and feelings that are coming up. Deep in thought and still with the pillow pressed against me, I lie there staring into space, and again and again these images come up, causing my pulse to skyrocket each time. My head is one big mess.

After what feels like an eternity, during which my thoughts keep circling around the events of the evening, I finally find my way to a restless sleep, which is characterized by agitated feelings. But far too early, the shrill sound of my cell phone alarm pulls me out of the land of dreams. Annoyed and with narrowed eyes, I reach for the annoying device to turn it off and force myself to sit up straight. My heart is still beating restlessly. Suddenly sensing movement beside me, I turn and catch sight of Mikey slowly turning in my direction, his hair wildly disheveled and the blanket pulled just slightly over his waist and no top on.... Instantly, memories of last night flash through my mind - our intense stares, the tingling and his touch on my skin, and the pounding of my heart - and I feel heat shoot up my face. With trembling hands, I jump out of bed, grab a few clothes at random from my suitcase, and rush to the shower as if my life depended on it.

Fortunately, a cabin is free and I have never been naked so quickly. Hoping that the cold water will cool my heated body, I kneel on the wet floor while hiding my face in my hands. The memories, emotions, and desire race inexorably through my mind.
"What am I supposed to do now?", I mutter quietly and desperately as I try to take my mind off of Mikey and what happened between us. I spend what feels like an eternity under the icy stream of water until I finally can't take it anymore and raise the temperature a little. As the warm stream of water touches my bruises, I realize how much they hurt. My fingers twitch back as I stroke the deep blue spot on my stomach, and I have to swallow hard. There are bruises on my arms, too, in the places where those guys held me down. The memories of the moment make me hold my breath for a brief moment. With a deep sigh, I turn off the water and step out of the shower. After drying off and getting dressed, I brush my teeth thoroughly at the sink.
Then I blow-dry my hair. As I do so, my eyes fall on my split lip in the mirror and the dark bruise spreading around my eye. While blow-drying my hair on the other side, I suddenly discover another mark on my neck - a dark red mark. Confused, I step closer to the mirror and widen my eyes as I suddenly realize where it came from. Shocked, I run my trembling fingers over it, but come much too close to my scalp with the hairdryer, which burns me. In pain and surprise, I drop the hairdryer, which lands on the tiled floor with a loud bang, and rub the spot. I pack up my things and leave the bathroom, my hair still half wet and my thoughts a mess.

When I return to the trailer, I immediately notice that Mikey is awake by now and still sitting on the bed. A queasy feeling spreads through my stomach as my heart beats a violent, irregular rhythm against my chest. I immediately walk up to him, glaring angrily at him and pointing at the marks on my neck he left behind while saying, "How the hell am I supposed to hide that, you idiot? Anyone can see that!"
Mikey's eyes twinkle in amusement as he looks at me, and a mischievous smile spreads across his lips. He raises his hand and strokes my neck provocatively as he says, "Good morning first. And it does look good. That's how everyone knows to keep their hands off you." His touch sends goosebumps over my body, and I can feel my heart beating even faster. Dumbfounded, my eyes widen and I can feel the blush creep up my face.
"Don't be embarrassed," he adds, gently brushing his fingers across my lips, and another shiver runs through my body. Mikey clears his throat briefly as he realizes what he just did, and quickly goes to his bag to pull out some fresh clothes.
"I'm going to take a shower too then," he mumbles quickly, and then disappears out of the trailer as well before I can react in any way. I sit down on the bed and pull my knees to my chest, resting my head on them. My heart is still pounding, and my cheeks burn with shame. I feel my pulse skyrocket and my breathing become shallow. Over and over again, memories of last night replay in my head. Shaking my head, I get up, put my things away, and try to distract myself with them.

Mikey comes out of the shower after not even ten minutes and suddenly stands in front of me. His wet hair drips onto his clothes, leaving dark stains. I involuntarily suck in my breath as I look at him and walk past him to make my way to breakfast. Whatever happened between us, I need to deal with it and not lose my mind-and preferably as soon as possible.
"Hey, wait up!" he calls after me, and comes running after me shortly after. He walks beside me, and even though I don't look at him, I can feel his stupid grin on his face.
"Do we need to talk about this?" asks Mikey suddenly, his voice more thoughtful than I'm used to hearing from him. I bite my lips, feeling my stomach tighten with tension as I struggle to get my roiling emotions under control.
"I... I don't know how to deal with this," I finally confess hesitantly, my voice barely audible and laced with a trembling undertone. Beside me, I hear Mikey sigh.
"It didn't mean anything," he finally says. "I just wanted to make you realize how defenseless and weak you are." His words feel like pinpricks, further scratching my already sore feelings. I have to swallow the rising lump in my throat to keep from bursting into tears.

"I knew that before!", I grumble quietly and just keep walking.

⊱ ────── {⋅. ✯ .⋅} ────── ⊰