13

⊱ ────── {⋅. ✯ .⋅} ────── ⊰

Meiyo POV

-Time Skip few days-

"As I'm sure you remember, at the beginning of the year I announced that we would be going to sports camp for two weeks during the summer vacation. Some of you still haven't given me permission, even though we are only three weeks away from the vacations. It's short notice, but you've had over half a year to do it now," the teacher speaks, looking around the room. I sit in class and suddenly remember that this camp is going to happen. But I don't have any parents to ask.
"That was the camp with a family member, right? And which family member must it be? ", one student asks. Apparently, it wasn't just me who missed the memory.
"How can you be so stupid and forgetful? ", the teacher sighs annoyed and writes something on the blackboard
"This is a sports/action camp where donations are collected with sports activities. At the same time, it advertises how important it is to strengthen the family bond through joint activities. We've had fantastic experiences with this, so we repeat this crap every year," the teacher explains, writing everything in bullet points on the board.
"And what if the parents don't have time for it? Because they have to work or didn't get a vacation? ", the same student asks again.
"Then you just ask your siblings. They definitely have vacation at the same time as you do, too," the teacher replies, annoyed.
"And what if you don't have siblings and your parents still can't? ", the student asks again.
"Every idiot has family members who are off at that time. Just ask another relative, everyone has aunts, uncles, cousins or grandparents who just hang lazily in their chairs and in front of the TV all day anyway. You don't have to put on a big performance, just do this crap together. "The teacher is annoyed and hands out a sheet on which everything is written in detail.

His statement makes me sad because not everyone has a family, at least not a biological one.
"I'm expecting the feedback this week. If you don't turn in your sheet, you'll get heaps of assignments during the vacations that will make up a large part of your grades. Better bring it back filled out," the teacher says, wiping the board.
"Are there only sports activities going on? Because if I ask my grandmother, I don't think it would be something for her," a girl interjects.
"No, there are different booths. You can choose which ones you want to participate in. Of course, care has been taken to ensure that older people are also present and accordingly some actions are especially tailored for them. However, you will have bad cards to win with an old box. And before another inane stupid question comes, yes, you can win! Points are accumulated at each booth. The more you participate in different actions, the more points you collect and your chance to get to the first place and win 500,000 yen increases. Of course, this is not a must, it's just meant to be an incentive and encourage you. ", the teacher explains and stops his narration. He holds his temple in annoyance.
"Will other schools also participate or just ours?" asks again the boy who had asked questions before.
"Some schools from Tokyo will also participate, but only your year. So you don't have to be ashamed of losing to younger people or humiliate yourselves because older people are participating. And also, you are not the only class in our school, before that stupid question comes up again. Now get your books out, we have chemistry and not a crappy question period," the teacher changes the subject.
This teacher is always in such a bad mood. It's a wonder he's even allowed to teach at this school anymore. The way he talks to us, the only thing missing is that he gets physical.

In the middle of the lesson, I suddenly hear noises from outside and shortly afterwards the door opens.
"Takemitchy, come out, come on!" shouts Mikey and enters the classroom together with Kenny. The student who had asked the questions earlier looks surprised and asks, "What are you guys doing here?"
I quickly slide my butt down and try to hide behind my book so they can't see me.
"Mei-chin, you're here too? Come outside with me!" shouts Mikey, waving cheerfully in my direction, spotting me far too quickly. Kenny, standing behind him, just smiles and makes a head motion for me to come along
"And who are you? You little pissants better get out of here," the bad-tempered teacher interferes. Mikey looks at him angrily, but Kenny holds him back, obviously wanting to get at him.
"Mei, Takemitchy's coming," my brother says and without much thought, I pack everything from my table into my bag and follow them, followed by that boy. We are in the same class, but I avoid any contact with any of them, which is why I don't even know the name of most of them.
"Not so fast!" a female voice I can match to Hina calls out. She walks right up to Mikey and smacks him.
"Pff, haha!", I start laughing, holding my stomach as I laugh at him.
"Just because we know each other and you're good friends with Takemichi doesn't mean you can just pull others out of class like that!" she yells at him. I just stand by and continue laughing.
"How that clapped, that was good!", Kenny gives me a light smack on the back of my head as a sign to stop laughing. Pouting, I then walk away from them, but my grin still doesn't fade and I go ahead and wait outside the building.

Shortly after, they come out and I just grin as I look at Mikey. I tell him, "You so deserve this!" He just grumbles and walks ahead.
"Oh yeah, Kenny, would you go to sports camp with me this summer vacation? It's such a family thing and I don't think the boss is going to say yes to that," I ask him directly as I walk alongside them.
"You know, I told you about it before, earlier this year!"
"That went on for a while, right?" he asks me.
"Yes, two weeks in fact," I confirm to him.
"If the princess can stand two weeks without me, there's nothing wrong with that," he says, pointing at Mikey, who still looks slightly offended.
"That'll be fine," I say simply, to which Kenny just laughs and agrees. I'm really looking forward to it. I love sports and I'll finally get to spend more time with my brother without anyone else getting in the way! I grin happily to myself, and that's how we spend the day. Nothing special happens anymore. The next day, I hand the completed piece of paper with Kenny's information and consent to the teacher with a signature.

The week goes by pretty quickly, as does the next. Kenny keeps asking me to go out with him and the others. I gradually get to know some of his friends, and they are all pretty nice, at least the ones I have had the pleasure of meeting.
They have some exams coming up before the vacations, and they cram them into these two weeks. I'm sure the teachers are just doing it to bug us. When I'm not out with Kenny, I spend my time studying. I'm having trouble doing it anyway, and then so many subjects in such a short time. The grades can only get bad. My brother does help me study when he can, as do Emma and Hina, who force their support on me, against my will! But I'm still grateful for it. Even Mikey is surprisingly helpful and is good at helping me with a subject. I wouldn't have thought that of him. To me, he seems more like he's completely stupid. He keeps annoying me, but I don't have time to respond to it because I have to remember all kinds of things.

It's only a week until camp, and I'm in bed with a fat cold.
"And are you sure you don't want me to stay?" my brother asks anxiously.
"Yes, go already. I'm just going to sleep all day anyway so I'll be ready for camp next week! It's just a cold!", I assure him. I caught a bad flu and am now in bed with a high fever, cough and severe circulation problems. It's bugging me so much!
It makes me sad because today is the summer festival and I was supposed to go there with Kenny and the others. I was going to eat lots of yummy things, collect prizes at the booths, and dress up pretty.
"But you better not bring me anything! Then I'll be a little mad!", I still say with a grin.
"Alright, but if anything comes up, you call me and I'll be right back."
"Yeah well, now get going. Emma is surely waiting for you!", I almost push him off the bed.
"I'm going to drink tea and sleep. I'll be fine.", sighing at the fact that he's finally gone, I make myself said tea and lie around on the couch afterwards. I watch some TV, excitedly pack my suitcase for camp, and then lie around on the couch again.

At some point I must have fallen asleep, because the ringing of my cell phone tears me from sleep.

⊱ ────── {⋅. ✯ .⋅} ────── ⊰