24

⊱ ────── {⋅. ✯ .⋅} ────── ⊰

During the bus ride, I sit next to Mikey, but we hardly speak to each other. I sit by the window and stare silently outside as the landscape passes us by. We drive through green hills and small villages that look picturesque with their colorful houses and past large meadows and fields where cows and sheep graze. Since everything was so spontaneous, I didn't even pack my headphones to listen to music. The only thing to be heard is the monotonous rattle of the bus and the conversations of the others. Mikey is mostly asleep, and although I'd like to be asleep too, I envy him a little for his ability to just tune out while I keep shifting nervously back and forth in my seat.
I pull my phone out of my pocket and text my brother to tell him what Mikey has been up to and so he doesn't have to worry about where I've gone. He doesn't seem surprised and even makes fun of it. No wonder. I put my phone back in my pocket and stare out the window again. With half an ear, I listen to the voices of the other students on the bus as excitement mounts. They are speculating about what to expect when we arrive at our destination and are already planning how to get rid of the teachers so they can have parties on the beach. I listen intently, although I can't really participate. I notice that most of them seem very exuberant, while I just feel nervous.

The last few miles we are all excited and can't wait to reach our destination. I wake Mikey up by shaking him and he rubs his eyes, yawning. As we get off the bus, I feel the heat of the sun on my skin and hear the sound of the sea. The smell of salt water is in the air and I can taste the salt on my lips. I turn around and see the ship lying in the harbor in front of us. It's huge, almost a small village on the water, and I can't help but smile brightly. Mikey stands next to me, stretches extensively and grins at me.
"See, I'm sure it's going to be great," he says to me, and I couldn't agree more.
"But only as long as we don't get busted," I remind him again about that.
"Oh, calm down. I'm sure there are several here pretending to be a family member," he says and I just shake my head. This boy embodies pure relaxation. The teacher calls us all over and as everyone stands around him, he says in a commanding tone that we should now line up and get our luggage. We search for our bags and suitcases, pack and shoulder them. It's a bit chaotic, but somehow we manage anyway. After everyone has their luggage, we walk together to the ship and as we pass the teacher does a final count to make sure everyone is on board. In the ship's lobby, the teacher tells us again to stay out of mischief and to keep quiet for the next few hours until we reach our destination. Then we are dismissed for the trip and can look around.

As I look around, I see a lot of people - some from our school and also from many other schools, excitedly moving around, carrying their suitcases and bags back and forth. Different ages from elementary students to retirees and probably many of them are chaperones for the camp. I just leave my class and drag my suitcase behind me. When I arrive on the deck, I go straight to the edge and look over the railing. The view is breathtaking, even though the ship is still in port. I watch the hustle and bustle of the harbor and see more and more people getting on the ship. At the same time, I admire the beauty of the harbor. However, it is not long before the ship makes a loud tooting sound - a sign that it is leaving.
I look spellbound at the water as the ship gradually moves away from the harbor, which becomes smaller and smaller. Shortly after, we are surrounded only by the blue sea. The sun shines brightly in the sky and makes the sea glitter and sparkle. I see the different colors of the water, ranging from deep blue to turquoise green, and admire the beauty of the ocean. The waves lapping gently against the ship, when suddenly dolphins jump out of the water at the bottom of the ship and elegantly move through the sea, accompanying the ship. The dolphins do not go unnoticed and pretty soon the railing is filled with people who are also enjoying the sight. They shout and clap as the dolphins jump out of the water and show off their skills.
Mikey sees out of the corner of his eye that I'm enjoying the view and joins me.
"This is amazing, isn't it?" he says with a big grin.
"Yes, it is," I reply, taking a deep breath. The salty air and the sound of the sea soothe me, and I feel relaxed, yet extremely nervous at the same time. I let my gaze wander further over the sea and admire the endless expanse. Of course, I can't resist taking photos. Mikey stands next to me the whole time and fortunately says nothing that could destroy the situation.

I eventually let go of the glittering blue of the sea in front of me and turn around to observe the deck. People are standing spread out along the railings, while others are lying on the deck chairs or sitting together as a group on the floor. Conversations and laughter can be heard from all sides. The sound of the sea and the screeching of the seagulls flying overhead also underscore the relaxed atmosphere. But at this moment I become sad. Sad that my brother is not there, because he is still seriously injured in the hospital.
"Whatever is causing you grief right now, push it aside and just enjoy," a voice to my left whispers in my ear. I look over at Mikey for a moment and then back at the ocean with a glance over my shoulder. I don't reply anything to that except a smile. I know he's right and I'll definitely try to enjoy it.

⊱ ────── {⋅. ✯ .⋅} ────── ⊰