78

⊱ ────── {⋅. ✯ .⋅} ────── ⊰

Meiyo POV

I am jolted out of sleep by an annoying cell phone ringing. Half asleep, I fumble on the nightstand for the annoyingly vibrating and ringing cell phone. After I finally have it in my hand, I tiredly lift it to my ear and sleepily mumble a quiet "Hello?" into the cell phone. When no answer comes from the other side, I ask again, a little louder this time, perhaps my first greeting had been too quiet, "Hello?"
"Meiyo is that you? Why do you have Mikey's cell phone?" the voice on the other side of the line asks. It takes an agonizingly long moment for that sentence to sink in. Suddenly I'm wide awake and sitting bolt upright in bed. I remove the cell phone from my ear and simply hang up while staring at the display in shock. That's right, I have my own cell phone on silent, so it makes sense that it wasn't mine!
I smack my forehead and ruffle my hair in despair. My God, Meiyo, how can anyone be so stupid!!! The voice belongs to Emma, and she will tell Kenny for sure! Inwardly, I throw the worst insults I know against my head.

I look at Mikey, who is sleeping peacefully next to me. "Mikeeey," I whine, shaking him frantically. "We've got a problem! Now get up!", I scold quietly and continue to jiggle. He finally opens his eyes and sits up tiredly, yawning heartily and rubbing his eyes.
"Mikey, I answered your phone when it rang and it was Emma! And she recognized my voice! She's going to tell my brother!" it blurts out immediately, and I stare at him with wide eyes. "I thought it was mine, but mine is on mute. But I was too tired to realize that, so I just went for it...", I ramble on. "I'm just so stupid! I didn't know what to say and then I just hung up...", I get quieter towards the end.

Mikey looks at me the whole time, but seems to fall right back asleep sitting down, until he suddenly starts laughing. "You just hung up on me?" he asks, amused. I nod slightly, and my eyes fill with tears of exasperation.
"It's not that funny! Stop laughing!" I punch him in the shoulder and give him a nasty look.
"She won't tell, I assure you. She's way too into... this for that," he tries to explain something to me, but I understand absolutely nothing.
"Yes she will! We need to find an excuse as to why I'm on your phone!" My panic level rises, and I continue to jiggle him as he yawns again. "Stop yawning! I'm serious!", I slowly grumble in exasperation and look at him accordingly.
"And I'm serious too, she won't tell. But I guess we'll have to let her in on it," he says, patting my head like I'm a little kid.

[...]

"...and that's how it was. Now you know everything," Mikey finishes his sentence. We met with Emma and Mikey explained everything to her in detail. Honestly, I'd rather avoid that, because I'm sure she'll tell my brother!
Her eyes sparkle with curiosity as she considers and finally begins, "This is absolutely exciting!" A glow spreads across her face, and she claps her hands with glee.

"But you can't tell my brother!", I interfere and repeat for the umpteenth time during the explanation that it should be kept secret from my brother.
"Oh, don't worry about that!I'm absolutely not going to tell, I'm into that secrecy thing," Emma says with a big grin.
"Besides, this way I can only help you spend time together all the more by distracting Draken!" She giggles to herself and gleefully slides back and forth in her chair.
"And I'll give you an alibi in case you ever want to spend the night at Mikey's. Or you let me know if Mikey wants to stay over, and I'll make sure Draken stays with me and doesn't come home early," she giggles to herself, and her giggles almost turn into squeals.
"This is so exciting!" she exclaims almost shrilly, standing up euphorically. "I am so going to keep Mission M&M a secret and push it at the same time!" says Emma loudly, clenching her fists as if getting ready for a fight.
"M&M?", I ask uncertainly, looking at her. "Na Meiyo and Mikey. What else?" she asks me, and I just sigh as Mikey next to me wipes the laughing tears from his face.

"And the two of us, we really need to go shopping so you can really blow my brother's mind," she says after sitting back down and frantically tapping her fingers on the table.
"Oh, and," she begins, starting to rummage in her bag. When she seems to have what she's looking for, she slides me a business card. "This is my gynecologist, you can see her without an appointment, however you will have to wait forever, so take plenty of time with you. I'm sure you'll need the pill now," she grins at me with a wink.
I swallow hard as I pick up the card and look at it. My face gets hot, and I feel my cheeks turn red. I quickly hide my face behind my hands, partly from shame, but also because the memory that we hadn't used contraception at the hotel is coming back. How could we have been so irresponsible?

All this will never end well.

⊱ ────── {⋅. ✯ .⋅} ────── ⊰